SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SetTrap error message

I have a random modal dialog that comes up.

Doing a "SetTrap("Yes") and it is working beautifully.

However, at the end of the test I'm calling ClearTrap() on that dialog and it gives me the error message "Trap has not been set."

Whassup widdat? Anyone seen this before?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SetTrap error message

I can reproduce this behavior but only if the ClearTrap() is applied to the wrong window. Are you sure yours are the same?

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, possibly...

I'm calling SetTrap inside of 'testcase', but testcase is only a few lines where I call a window TestObject.PerformTests() and all the work is done there.

So, SetTrap is called, then the TestObject, then ClearTrap.

What I have done is move SetTrap and ClearTrap to the TestObject and it works fine. I'm unclear why this is the case, but I'm satisfied with the solution.

Thanks John!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wondering when you gurus would use SetTrap(). I read the help on it but can't see why I would use it versus Exists. Help compared the two and stated that the "trap triggers in those instances when Exists would return TRUE" Can you please give an example?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kchan:
    Just wondering when you gurus would use SetTrap(). I read the help on it but can't see why I would use it versus Exists. Help compared the two and stated that the "trap triggers in those instances when Exists would return TRUE" Can you please give an example?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First off, SetTrap() is quite limited in its usefulness primarily because it doesn't include support to call a user-defined routine to process the container that appears. It only supports closing it.

If it supported user-calls it would be one of the most powerful commands in the language.

An example of its use: Let's say you have a LAN connected application that (rather irritatingly) warns the user when the connection goes down by popping up a modal dialog. Suppose further that your LAN has been so unreliable lately - a failure can be reported at any moment - that your tests cannot run for very long without being stopped by the LAN error message.

A SetTrap() for this LAN message would effectively remove it from view just as if the underlying LAN problem had actually been fixed. That's a good deal right? Not really. The effect is to mask the very appearance of those errors when you may have wanted to document the rate and frequency of their appearance.

Using Exists() would not be as effective in this example because calling it is a one-time serial action - it only runs when you call it. setTrap() initiates a closing action every time the trigger event - that LAN warning dialog - appears. To perform an equivalent action with Exists() would require that some clever coding be added to the base class SetActive() method OR you'd have to call it immediately after every window.method you ever use.

Consider now IF SetTrap() supported an optional call to your own code to process that darn popup warning every time it appeared. You could then easily compare the warning's contents with expectations, document it, count it, and process the dialog in any other manner desired. You might then decide to either continue test execution or Abort the run. YOU retain full control, not hand it off to a mindless automated closer.

Does that help?

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can the SetTrap method be overloaded with the custom implementation?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AUTOMATION_GURU:
    can the SetTrap method be overloaded with the custom implementation?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    SetTrap() enables trapping; ClearTrap() disables it. To do what's described above we would have to override the unnamed-method that actually performs the closing action. We can't do that without a name.

John

------------------