SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Automating Ixia Explorer

I worked for quite a while to get an interface to Ixia Explorer (the GUI for the Ixia chassis, http://www.ixiacom.com); then, a GUI upgrade trashed a lot of the work I had done.

That's mostly fixed, but I was curious if anyone out there had used Ixia Explorer in an automated environment before, and how you dealt with software upgrades, the seemingly-random GUI mappings, etc.

Thanks in advance!

-TC
    --
    Tim Crone
    Broadcom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Automating Ixia Explorer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tdcrone:
    ... That's mostly fixed, but I was curious if anyone out there had used Ixia Explorer in an automated environment before, and how you dealt with software upgrades, the seemingly-random GUI mappings, etc.
    -TC
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The same way those problems are solved with any other automated application: isolate the variability with encapsulation. Use abstraction to generalize all but the lowest layers so that everything above that point is oblivious to the changes. Keep the old version in play while you update the suite for the latest version.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Automating Ixia Explorer

John,

Thanks for your reply. The basic test principles you list are effectively what I am doing, but the nature of the Ixia chassis is that everyone has to upgrade at the same time, meaning I can't continue to use an old version while the 'humans' switch over. I was hoping someone who had used the Ixia Explorer might have automated it using a backend interface, and would know if that was a more, less, or equally stable alternative to the GUI-based approach I used.

Even if not, it would be nice to know if anyone had automated this before, if only to help my appeals to Ixia Communications for better backend support.

Again, thanks in advance...

-TC
    --
    Tim Crone
    Broadcom