SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bitmap comparison tools

could anyone suggest another tool for bitmap comparisons than the one included with silk.

------------------
    -gram
    -gram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: bitmap comparison tools

what QS project you are talking about???????????????? Are you crazy man??????????? This is for something else......you know VERIFY ANY TWO BMP FILES!!!!!!And of course looking for something better than bitmap tool...hope you got my email!

------------------
    -gram
    -gram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what would be nice is a tool that had some sort of fuzzy logic where if the image is shifted like 10-30 pixels in any direction is ok.

------------------
    Ryan McCullough
    Accelrys Inc.
    ryan@accelrys.com
    Ryan McCullough
    RightNow Tech. Inc.

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that for QS project gram...

How are you doing man, why the #$%$ you want to do bitmap comparision

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rmccullough:
    what would be nice is a tool that had some sort of fuzzy logic where if the image is shifted like 10-30 pixels in any direction is ok.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    You can do this either by interpreting the Bit Map Tool's Comparision Statistics dialog with suitable code, or by setting the tolerance option in Options/Agent/Bitmap.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im not talking tolerance. Lets say you have a 200x200 image with a 100x100 red square in it. Now, I set my tolerance to 5% which allows 2000 pixels to be off. So the 100x100 red square gets shifted down 15 pixels and to the right 15 pixels. The image is identical but has shifted slightly(which happens between different OS's and with different video drivers and display profiles). I want a bmp verification tool to be able to tell that the image is the same but it has just shifted.

------------------
    Ryan McCullough
    Accelrys Inc.
    ryan@accelrys.com
    Ryan McCullough
    RightNow Tech. Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rmccullough:
    im not talking tolerance. Lets say you have a 200x200 image with a 100x100 red square in it. Now, I set my tolerance to 5% which allows 2000 pixels to be off. So the 100x100 red square gets shifted down 15 pixels and to the right 15 pixels. The image is identical but has shifted slightly(which happens between different OS's and with different video drivers and display profiles). I want a bmp verification tool to be able to tell that the image is the same but it has just shifted.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Have you contacted one of the video card manufacturers and/or video monitor manufacturers to inquire what they use? You can bet it's some sort of automated tool, but it may not be a GUI automation tool. However, if it does what you want that should be good enough, right?

~ Fred

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah but are they just going to give it to me? Who do I contact?

------------------
    Ryan McCullough
    Accelrys Inc.
    ryan@accelrys.com
    Ryan McCullough
    RightNow Tech. Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt they would give it away, but if it's something they purchase then surely they would tell you who from...

Try looking up any company that makes PC video stuff and then call them and ask to speak with the QA Manager. If you get fluff from someone thinking you are trying to sell them something just be honest. Honesty goes a long way...

~ Fred

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I looked at one of those recently - on paper only. The $30,000 per-seat tool was intended for assembly line final-test to verify such things as calculators and remote controls. The company supplied all kinds of hardware interfaces to make it work for various devices at extra cost, of course.

The underlying engine however was based on a rudimentary language and capture/playback which meant it had no ability to interpret anything graphically represented that you didn't precapture in a file.

While its possible to do what you're wanting for very simple cases in 4Test, the execution-time required would likely make it prohibitive.

How about another approach? If the presented graphics are constructed from gif or jpg files, you might be able to obtain their names and GetRect() values from the application. This of course, would require code support from your developers.

John

------------------