SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to launch silk test from a remote machine

I want to be able to launch silk test from a remote machine which is on network.

Or want to launch a batch file which will launch silk. I don't want to install net support. and I can't install silk on remote machine either

------------------

[This message has been edited by whannatta (edited 01-07-2003).]

[This message has been edited by whannatta (edited 01-08-2003).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How to launch silk test from a remote machine

Do you mean that you want to start SilkTest on one machine from another machine? Or do you mean you want to use SIlkTest on one machine to execute a test on another machine?

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Do you mean that you want to start SilkTest on one machine from another machine? Or do you mean you want to use SIlkTest on one machine to execute a test on another machine?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Considering anyone of the above to be the actual case here's what you can do.

Want to start SilkTest on MachineA from MachineB.
    For this you will have to first connect to the remote machine from within a session of SilkTest on your machine. You have to have the Agent invoked on the MachineA and the appropriate protocol set (TCP/IP, NET BIOS). Next from MachineB you call a statement Connect statement to connect to the agent on MachineA. Then all you have to do is issue a Start () call with the appropriate path to SilkTest (provided you have it installed on MachineA).

Want to use SIlkTest on MachineA to execute a test on another MachineB.
    In this case all you have to do is have the agent on MachineA running and establish connection from MachineB to MachineA via a connect statement. You can then interact with MachineA just as you would have done with the host machine i.e. MachineB.

Side Note: One way to make sure that the agent is running on the target machine, even if a reboot is done is to place a shortcut to agent.exe in the program startup.

Humor : Alternatively you can place a shortcut to partner.exe in the startup and invoke SilkTest on remote machine, but I don't think that is what you want to do. Is it ?

------------------
    never say die
    Life, that dares send, A challenge to his end,
    And when it comes say, Welcome friend.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>
    Side Note: One way to make sure that the agent is running on the target machine, even if a reboot is done is to place a shortcut to agent.exe in the program startup.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Placing shortcut in startup didn't work for me all the time. Sometimes, there were cases where somebody manually closed the agent on target machine. For this I didn't want to do a remote reboot etc. I tried the following approach to resolve the issue. This may not be a very good approach to resolve this issue, but it works.

Command:
    AT \\&lt;machine name&gt; &lt;time&gt; /interactive start c:\progra~1\segue\silktest\agent.exe

Example:
    AT \\RKAMANI 9:51AM /interactive start c:\progra~1\segue\silktest\agent.exe

Time should always be +1 OR +2 minutes to the current time when you execute this command. If it is previous to current time, it executes nextday.

One caveat of this approach is sometimes when the login user of your host machine doesn't have permission to add task on the target machine, it gives access denied error. I didn't have this issue as the host & target machines were in same network domain & I have login test accounts for these machines on this domain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i only have silk on one machine and both the machines are on network. and I guess this may not be a silk question but ...

I have silk sitting on Machine A, all I want is to start the tests from mahines B which doesn't have silk

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'd go with VNC or pcAnywhere or RemoteDesktop or a similar tool. You can "connect to" MachineA from MachineB, then start your Silk run.

------------------

I have silk sitting on Machine A, all I want is to start the tests from mahines B which doesn't have silk
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you need to write a batch file using the command...

"%SEGUE_HOME%\partner" -m &lt;machine name&gt; -q -r &lt;test script/suite name with full path&gt;

and place it on Machine A.

Then use some mechanism (like scheduling a task) to invoke this batch file from machine B.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are right this is not a silk test question but any ways. as brent mentioned earlier you can use VNC or pcAnywhere or RemoteDesktop or Net support or a similar tool. You can "connect to" MachineA from MachineB, then start your Silk run. but there is a very lighter way of doing that if you have administrative rights on the machine. and since it can be of general use to anybody hence I am starting a new thread for that which is http://www.qaforums.com/Forum1/HTML/004375.html

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Placing shortcut in startup didn't work for me all the time. Sometimes, there were cases where somebody manually closed the agent on target machine. For this I didn't want to do a remote reboot etc. I tried the following approach to resolve the issue. This may not be a very good approach to resolve this issue, but it works.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You dont really have people playing around with your regression machines do you ? Anyways I do agree with your point, there could be several other reasons for the agent to not work.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>only have silk on one machine and both the machines are on network. and I guess this may not be a silk question but ...
    I have silk sitting on Machine A, all I want is to start the tests from mahines B which doesn't have silk<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well in that case the best options is the one that Brent mentions. Another tool to check out is Remote Admin.

------------------
    never say die
    Life, that dares send, A challenge to his end,
    And when it comes say, Welcome friend.

You dont really have people playing around with your regression machines do you ?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not all the time though. There will be cases where when an automation test fails on the regression machine, a manual tester quickly checks it on the regression machine.