SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multitag Or Wildcards?

On the surface, this appears to be a matter of personal preference. To this I say, "To each his own!"

But I'm wondering if there are any benefits to using multiple tags vs. a single tag with wildcards, or vice versa. Any perfomance improvements either way?

Multitag Example:Wildcard Example:Thoughts?

~ Fred

P.S. This is the same named field on multiple pages of a web app (PeopleSoft), and the ID's are DB table/field names...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Multitag Or Wildcards?

In terms of speed, the single tag will likely be faster since the docs indicate a progression of tests to determine a match when multitags are used (but we're likely talking just microseconds).

Multitags bring with them the baggage of being sequence sensitive and of selecting the first match rather than the best match. This can be a problem if more than one instance exists in the same container because you lose access to other Customer objects that appear later in the tagging sequence. In other words, if a FILTER instance exists, you won't be able to talk to a NOTES instance in the same container without including a bracketed index.

On the other hand, asterisk-based or "#1"-based tags can be much too general. Which you use depends very much on the situation.

For your cursory example, if I had a Customer field whose correct manipulation depended on the content of its tag, I'd use a single Customer tag (with asterisks) and make it an instance of a special class that would know how to recognize and handle those differences appropriately. This approach completely isolates the tag-specified behavior so that any user of Customer.SetText() and Customer.GetText() commands wouldn't know or have to care about the difference.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John,

Your reply is very thorough, as usual. But in this case I don't have to worry about any differences.

Consider a CRM app (because that is the case here), where you can look up Sales Opportunities, Sales Leads, Support Cases, Company Representatives, and a whole list of other items.

In most cases, you can reduce the returned list by entering something in the 'Customer' text field. From each individual page the field is pointing to a different table in the DB, so the ID is different. But otherwise the functionality is identical.

From a maintenance standpoint, the multitag is the fastest and easiest. Unless I can find that there is good reason for me to switch to wildcards I'll take the easy route because at the end of the day it boils down to ROI.

Performance improvements would be worth it, especially since 6.0 is like molasses, but not for nanoseconds...

Wouldn't you agree?

~ Fred

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since it's already coded, the code block is isolated, multitag's side effects aren't relevant in this case, and the maintenance risk is expected to be low, I wouldn't change it either.

John

------------------