SPONSORS:

User Tag List

capturing window created by child thread

Hi all
    I am a newbie to Silk , so excuse me if i am wrong some where and please correct me.

I am spawing a thread (using spawn) and the single statement in that thread block launches a notepad.
    now from my main thread i want to do some operations over the notepad window(for ex to exit). i have captured the notepad window from Record->window declarations and added to the global declaration.
    when i check for the existence of the notepad (notepad.exists()) from the main thread it loops on and never comes out.

pls help :-(

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: capturing window created by child thread

Threading does not work like that in Silk. You cannot truely multithread on the same machine. People HAVE CLAIMED TO RUN SILK MULTI THREADS, but I can never get them to print an example of doing so on the same machine. See these threads where I propose a simple question to answer...
    Also, try to do some searching on your own for any questions you may have...

http://www.qaforums.com/Forum1/HTML/003692.html
    http://www.qaforums.com/Forum1/HTML/002528.html
    http://www.qaforums.com/Forum1/HTML/000719.html

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not sure what difficulty or what Pontoriero is looking for....following is some code to help you get your research on 'spawn' started:
    And also verify to confirm the application is not stuck with the AUT opening and not on the exists
    ------------------
    -gram

[This message has been edited by gram (edited 12-19-2002).]

[This message has been edited by gram (edited 12-19-2002).]
    -gram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbies have no reason to do multi-threaded stuff.

The main problem with multiple threads on a single machine is that all of the threads operate through a single SilkTest Agent. For multiple machine tests with remote Agents -- multi-threading is very, very useful.

The exception for single machine testing is to have independent threads doing non-GUI things that do not use the Agent. All of the functions starting with "DB_" and "SYS_" fall into this class.

While writing this answer -- it occurred to me that you might be able to run two Agents on a single machine. I tried and found that I CAN! -- and I can connect() to them both too! But the setup is screwy and I really doubt it could work reliably :-)

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It actually works quite reliably. I've had over 300 agents running on one machine (a big machine) and each agent processing different commands. Keep in mind that only one agent can use a mouse and the keyboard at a time though. But if the agents are all going to be doing backend stuff via SQL or API calls, then it works fine.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob, James,

How about providing an example?