SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Object recognition

Does anyone know exactly what is going on during object recognition. Is it different between a browser and a client app? When I attempt to recognize a windows controls that are not a browser window I see that process take all the CPU usuage until the object recognition is done. Why is this, what is ST asking from the executable?

-L.M.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Object recognition

what kind of application is your AUT? What language? what platform/environment?

------------------
    -gram
    -gram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does it matter what the OS and browser are as well as the AUT. I just want to know what ST does during the object recognition phase. If it matters I am running WinXP Sp1 with IE6.0 Sp1 and my AUT implements mshta.exe.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it matters -- your application uses an API library to draw windows and menus and buttons and to capture mouse clicks and keystrokes.

Windows applications use the "Windows API" library. Java applications use the "Java API" library. Browsers handle these things through a combination of the native OS API and browser code. That is why all applications that share an API have a similar look and feel.

SilkTest calls the API directly to see what objects exist, where they are located, etc.
    It also calls the API to simulate mouse clicks and keystrokes when you run a test.

Depending on the API -- SilkTest uses different code to do similar things.

Hope this helps. Understanding this will help you a lot in the long run.

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THIS IS JUST MY SPECULATION:

If I had to write my own little application to findout what are the contents of a wndow I would use the standard windows apis to enumerate all the windows find their hirarchy name class etc.

SIlk probably does the same thing and then formats it in its own way and then shows you in the recorder window. but its a trivial task and shouldn't take much longer and shouldn't render the system unusable at all. There might be something going on with you extensions settings. QAPHooks.dll also does some weird things sometimes if extensions are enabled. and then system goes in a weird state and takes too long to come back. probably agent calls are not properly responded by qaphooks which causes this *sort of hung state*

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest object recognition works this way:

It querys the Windows Manager for a list of all the objects on the window/browser. Then, it uses the Class and Tag of the object under scrutiny to try and match it to something in the list. It needs two things to do this: uniqueness and lineage. Lineage means that it must be able to trace the full parentage of the object back to the MainWin or Browser. Uniqueness means being able to distinquish the object from any siblings of the same class, saying in essence "find an object on the window/browser that is of this class, and with this unique (tag) data." This combination of lineage and uniqueness creates a Fully Qualified Tag. Hope this helps...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK. So why would one version of silk differ from another in presenting the html control info via the window record functionality if the option settings (default browser: ie 5.5 dom) are the same?

I've had to tweak my tags every time a new release comes across my desk.

With thousands of lines of code relying on hundreds of window tags at stack, the upgrade path is getting to be a little bit more than I'd like to handle.

------------------
    Let go Luke!