SPONSORS:

User Tag List

scripts failing when ran through telnet

I am invoking scripts located in the PC by telnetting in to it from Unix machine.
    My script configures network settings, by
    opening control panel-> selecting apropriate Network adapter -> properties -> ....

The script are running fine if i run it on same machine but if i try to run the same script by telnetting in to PC from unix machine the scripts are failing . the script is not able to identify certain objects such as Network Adapter , tabs in Network adapter properties.

Any solution for this issue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: scripts failing when ran through telnet

you will have to be more specific as to what problems you are getting.

do you run a batch file after you telnet which runs your script?

------------------

no i am not using a batch file,
    i am issuing partner -r command to execute the script.

the script does the following goes to
    controlpanel->network connection->
    right clicks one of ethernet card and opens properties. There are various options in
    properties window such as General,authentication etc.
    selects one of the pagelist options and configures , but the script is not recogonizing the pagelist when invoked through telnet.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess is that some of the environment variables used by SilkTest are being ignored when you invoke partner from the Telnet shell. Try putting them all in a batch file with partner -r. Also try explicitly setting all of your Agent options in your script.

Another possibility is that your test is changing the PC's network settings and the connection to the SilkTest license server is being lost. What version SilkTest are you using ?

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try launching the application from a jscript. This will be light and portable and you won't have to have telnet support on the machine. All you will have to do is enable dcom on your machine and set remote registry for to 1 and then you can run the script on remote machine from any where on the network.

I know its not a solution to your question but it just crossed my mind that this might be a lighter way of doing what you are doing. especially if you have to install telnet services on you box.

------------------

My guess is that some of the environment variables used by SilkTest are being ignored when you invoke partner from the Telnet shell. Try putting them all in a batch file with partner -r. Also try explicitly setting all of your Agent options in your script.
    Another possibility is that your test is changing the PC's network settings and the connection to the SilkTest license server is being lost. What version SilkTest are you using ?
    >>>>>>> I tried using batch file and also setting agent option in the script didn't work out, giving the same problem.
    I gave contineous ping to silkmeter license
    server while running the script, the ping was
    succesfull ,so there is no connectivity issue also there.
    I am using SilkTest Version 5.5 SP#

I have many scripts each testing different
    components of my non web based GUI application,

I am running all other scripts in similar fashion, but i am facing problem only with this script which interacts with windows network properties

------------------

Automation_guru

I enabled DCOM , but i am not sure how to set remote registry to 1, More over by doing the above can i invoke my script from UNIX machine, Can you give me more detail on this ?? How to set remote registry ???

------------------

i got a workaround for this problem, the agent needs to be started manually on the client before invoking the scripts

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That will be a major problem if you have to do it for over 100 machines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings

Set

"Remote"="1"
    "Enabled"="1"