SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old test script need to modified

We have some old test script using QA-Partner. Now Our testing test app is a newer version, though only GUI side has some visible changes. However, old test script is not working at all.
    Everyone has a good way :
    . to upgrade and/or modify our automation script (in SilkTest) so that it works in new environment?
    Appreciated, Joseph

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Old test script need to modified

Well you need to specify more of what it is testing...What kind of app is it? I too went through this problem when i started at my company. Are you a full time scripter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My original purpose is to get some idea from you experienced guy on this problem. Now you ask, this is a c/s app, backend has little modification; most improvements are on front-end (is this way how they usually do upgrades?). So problem is on our old scripts' dependency on GUI. I guess we had this old script not exactly OO. So problem occurs on each every test case. I was thinking whether there is a shortcut, like re-capturing all windows declaration, or I have to follow a more orthordox way - debug case by case, then...
    Either way, I would like to hear what you think.

BTW, I am not full-time scripter, but that is my goal. Very glad to see you in this community.

Joseph

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joseph,
    It's still hard to tell exactly what it is that is the problem, maybe you could email me privately or something. Otherwise the overall goal you have doesn't sound too hard. Depend on the person that made the script, if they made it truly generic or not. I mean if the entire script is looking for specific items in the script and not in the string's or include's then you may consider rewriting the whole thing. If it is aliased and it's just a matter of plugging in say the Menu Item changes then you probably have it pretty easy. But i cannot be certain, i don't have it in front of me to see. Be more specific if possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is another option you that may make the problem disappear. If the test cases are old enough you may be able to go to Options/Agent/Compatibility and check the "Use 1.x tags" and the "Use 1.x class library" checkboxes.