Thread: Orphaned Tests

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orphaned Tests

Hi,

has anyone experience with "orphaned tests"? after i ran the masterplan in silktest, the results are shown in the testplan order.
    after i close and open silktest again, the results are shown in a different order: some tests are shown under the titel: "orphaned tests" , the others still stand in the original "tree-view" of the masterplan.

it looks something like this:

[-] Orphaned tests
    [+] Testcase BestandRB - Passed
    [ ] *** DefaultBaseState is invoking GA
    [ ] Closing AuswahlLang
    [ ] Closing PersonB
    [ ] Testcase BestandRS - Passed
    [ ] Testcase BestandVL - Passed
    [-] Masterplan
    [+] Gui
    [ ] Test Bestandsfenster
    [ ] Test Konfigurationsdialog
    [ ] Test Hauptfenster
    [ ] Test Personenfenster
    [ ] Test Bedarf
    [ ] Test Analyse

where do i have to/can i change a setting, to avoid this display?

thanks for any suggestions!

Anja

------------------
    Smile, tomorrow will be worse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Orphaned Tests

i've seen this but not sure of any settings that can rectify/change this. It usually happens randomly when either the testcases listed in the plan has not run due to previous compile errors or Silk test could not associate the testcase to a script/has lost the reference. It is internal.

------------------
    -gram

[This message has been edited by gram (edited 12-16-2002).]
    -gram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

I get Orphaned Tests only if i SAVE silktest Results file and reopen it later.

When we run silktest scripts, results file get saved in the same folder(script folder) OR Testplan folder if you are running test from testplan file. So my understanding is, when we save the results file in some folder, then all tests become Orphaned tests bcos of missing parent (Which is particular script file or test plan file)

See if it helps!

Take Care
    Ritu

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats going on here.(following is straight from online help) are you changing description between the runs?

SilkTest uses the test descriptions as well as the script, testcase, and testdata statements to identify and locate the various cases in the testplan and in the results set. When test results overlap in the two results set that were merged, the more recent run is used. If you change a test description between runs or modify the statements, SilkTest might be unable to find the test when you try to merge results. SilkTest places these so-called orphaned tests at the top of the results set.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see this in .PLN files that include other .PLN files. If the subplans are not expanded before opening the .RES file I get the orphaned tests.

So, when I want to look at a .RES file I open the plan and expand all subplans, then open the .RES files and the tests are not orphaned.

------------------
    Steven Tyler
    SQA Automation Team Manager
    Workforce Central Group
    Kronos Incorporated
    E-Mail: styler@kronos.com
    www.kronos.com
    Improving the Performance of People and Business™
    Steven Tyler
    Manager - Performance Engineering

Kronos Incorporated
    tel: +1 978 947 4219

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

thanks for your answers!

so:
    - yes, the problem occurs when i reopen a saved results file.
    - no, i´m not changing description between the runs - err- i should have read the post to the end i guess. yes, i changed some test descriptions, but this happens also with new tests! But i´m not trying to merge results, just want to look though the recent result. I just tried merging once (a few months ago).
    (hope i understood you correctly, AUTOMATION_GURU.)
    - the results are saved in a separate folder.
    - but: the subplans are indeed collapsed during the run. That does not seem the problem though, because i also get the orphanded tests, when i run the plan with expanded subplans.

i also asked segue-support about this. now i´m curious what they will say.

but thanks again for your suggestions!

Anja

p.s.: hmm, but now i´m confused, because i just opened the result file from yesterday - and: voilá! everything in order!
    till now i just opend the latest result file, which happend to be from the actual day most of the time.

------------------

[This message has been edited by AnjaW (edited 12-18-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your subplans may have been closed when you clicked run, but depending on what was selected (marked), SilkTest will open subplans during execution. If you open the result file with no plans open, it will reopen the result with the correct descriptions. If you opened the master plan and did not have the same subplans open that were open when the result was generated, those tests will be "orphaned". So either having no plan open or open the top-level (master) plan and do Include | Open all & your descriptions in your res file should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

waltnj, you did it!

that was the problem!! now the orphaned tests have disappeared, when i opened the subplans!

thanks alot!!

Anja

------------------