Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How To Re-Evaluate Assignments Set At Compile Time

Let's see if I can adequately explain my problem.<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI> I am calling a testcase from a testplan
    <LI> I specify in the plan that the testcase is to use a 'List Of X' for test data
    <LI> Some of the items in the 'List of X' are actual data values, and some are function calls
    <LI> The function calls open an .ini file and read a value
    <LI> The testcase does some steps, sets the values in the .ini file, then more steps, then uses the 'List of X'
    <LI> The 'List of X' is evaluated at compile time, such that the values loaded from the .ini file are from the previous run[/list]

If that makes sense, then please tell me how I can re-evaluate the 'List of X' such that it uses the up-to-the-minute values in the .ini file...

TIA,
    ~ Fred

------------------

[This message has been edited by RagerXS (edited 12-12-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How To Re-Evaluate Assignments Set At Compile Time

Where does the list get updated prior to being passed to the method?

A pseudo-break down of the code:

testcase:
    - The list is evaluated (read?)at this time, reading the .ini file values from previous run
    - Test steps execute: the .ini file values are updated,
    /* List should be updated here ? */
    and a method is called where the list is passed to the method

John

[This message has been edited by John J. Miller (edited 12-12-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would this help.... if you could declare the list global and change value of global... the list to the method would have the new values.

------------------
    -gram
    -gram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the list of x represents a command sequence and the ini file modifies that sequence, then the list of x should not be used until after it has been modified.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is actually the case -- the list is not used until after the .ini file is modified.

What appears to be happening is this:

- Plan calls testcase passing several parameters, including the list in question
    - The list is evaluated at this time, reading the .ini file values from previous run
    - Test steps execute, the .ini file values are updated, and a method is called where the list is passed to the method
    - *** It's here that I want to re-evaluate the list and read the .ini file
    - The method instead receives the list with old parameters

I'm using a stored list instead of building one dynamically because ideally I'd like to be able to change the scenario just by providing a different list and making another call from the testplan with the new list, and so on.

~ Fred

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gram:
    Would this help.... if you could declare the list global and change value of global... the list to the method would have the new values.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Because I'm using a testplan, I can't use global variables because the Agent re-initializes them for each test it kicks off. I wish I could do it this way, but alas this is why I chose to use .ini file processing.

~ Fred

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John J. Miller:
    Where does the list get updated prior to being passed to the method?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>John,

I think you've given me my answer... But first a recap: Because the list is evaluated as soon as the testplan passes it to the testcase, it gets old values from the .ini file. Then when I modify the .ini file at runtime the changes are ignored because the list does not get modified.

On another note, I've been unable to modify my list with code (it's a set of field/value pairs and I'm attempting to modify the values). I've been able to use one list to construct a separate, modified list, but not to actually modify a list value (this is really a separate issue).

Back to the problem at hand: The only way I can figure to do this is to make the first list a set of field/value pairs where all the values I want to get at runtime should start at NULL. Then when I get a NULL value I can simply process the .ini file to get a current value...

So it appears I have my answer, but I'd appreciate confirmation from one of the experts that this indeed is the way to go.

Thanks,
    ~ Fred

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>On another note, I've been unable to modify my list with code (it's a set of field/value pairs and I'm attempting to modify the values). I've been able to use one list to construct a separate, modified list, but not to actually modify a list value (this is really a separate issue). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    This sounds very much like a scope issue where the list is modified inside the first testcase (as a configurator) but not transferred to a global list that will be used by all subsequent tests. (You can bench-check for this, or even watch it happen by configuring a main() routine to pass representations of $values to the configuring testcase, then debug step-into the second testcase to view its variables.)

Also on a related note, have you considered replacing the 'list of X' with a list of records? Records are way more flexible.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Back to the problem at hand: The only way I can figure to do this is to make the first list a set of field/value pairs where all the values I want to get at runtime should start at NULL. Then when I get a NULL value I can simply process the .ini file to get a current value... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another way it to write an actual .INC file directly, then include it in the .t files of subsequent plans with a "use" statement. This approach lead back into the topic title.

John

------------------

[This message has been edited by John J. Miller (edited 12-13-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>This sounds very much like a scope issue where the list is modified inside the first testcase (as a configurator) but not transferred to a global list that will be used by all subsequent tests. (You can bench-check for this, or even watch it happen by configuring a main() routine to pass representations of $values to the configuring testcase, then debug step-into the second testcase to view its variables.)

Also on a related note, have you considered replacing the 'list of X' with a list of records? Records are way more flexible.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This is out of order, but my 'List of X' is a list of records -- and yes, it's WAY more flexible.

As for it being a scope issue, I can't see why. For example, let's say it's defined in the .inc file as lMyOriginalList, which gets compiled at runtime. Then I pass that to method ModifyList(LIST OF X lListToMod). If I modify lListToMod and then pass lListToMod to another method or function, it should keep the new values. It doesn't...

~ Fred

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John J. Miller:
    Another way it to write an actual .INC file directly, then include it in the .t files of subsequent plans with a "use" statement. This approach lead back into the topic title.
    John
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm confused? Can you elaborate on this?

As for building a new list, as I had suggested I may try, this would require a significant rewrite effort. I'm still looking for a way to call that first list again to make it re-evaluate it's values. But I have a feeling I may have to scrap this idea...

~ Fred

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast