Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with HtmlTable in Silk 5.0.2

Good Evening,

I guess this is an old topic but I am definitely in need of advice.
    Silk doesnt seem to be doing a good job if at all with HtmlTable tagging. Currently I am testing a Message Board type GUI on Web. When I get the Link on the fly, it would tell me
    BrowserPage.BrowserChild("#3").BrowserChild("#2"). BrowserChild("1.0").HtmlTable("#5").HtmlColumn("#3 ").HtmlLink("Automated Post 2")
    But when I tell it to Click on the link, it would not find it. Instead it see a whole new declaration ... as
    BrowserPage.BrowserChild("#3").BrowserChild("#2"). BrowserChild("1.0").HtmlTable("#2").HtmlColumn("#3 ").HtmlLink("Automated Post 2")!

Why is this the case with Silk! I am losing ideas in dealing with this. I cant do a fix declaratios on it because the Message board changes it subjects all the time.

Any help would be appreicated.

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Help with HtmlTable in Silk 5.0.2

Yes you can fix the declarations...

You probably declared it the wrong way...

SilkTest gives you the ability to choose of 5 different ways to identify any object. It even gives you multitag to choose combinations of them too. My advise if "choose wisely".
    I'll write some more about this in a little while...

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tony
    All I can do is add weigth to what AJ said. Tagging by index of classtype is in my opinion a bad thing to do.

(Now I feel like the Zen Master of Tagging) .. Strive instead to find the most immutable and portable attribute of the control.

I have always prefered Captions, or Prior Text to id a control. Using index is only slightly better that Location (YUCK).

But this is a topic that has much more art than science. Bottom line for your problem I suggest you dispense with the Index, as it is not serving you well.

Good Luck

------------------
    "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer
    mailto:rick_weth@yahoo.com
    phone(408) 487-3846

[This message has been edited by rick_weth (edited 02-08-2000).]
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys,

I know tagging by index is bad but what I am tagging is a Message board. The captions change accordingly to the message title. Unfortunately, our web developers are not likely to tag their codes anytime soon.

All I been doing is to get GetChildren > GetClass and finally GetCaption and compare if it is the caption I want. If so, then select the message.

If you guys have an alternative way to do this... any help would be appreicated.

Thanks again.
    Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got the same problem....I'm testing an auction site. You can't declare these pages at all because what's on them is never the same twice.

I've taken to writing functions that refer to rows and columns in tables by number. Do NOT declare the page at all...or just declare the top level table and none of its contents.

I haven't been completely successful with this myself though because we have graphics in these dynamic tables and STILL Segue has not fixed the bug that causes graphics to be interpretted as table delimiters.

And it still annoys me to no end that I have to write FUNCTIONS and not methods because I can't subclass Html* anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AJ,

If you have time, you can continue to finish off how I should or best way to tag a web page? Currently I am using Caption but with many generic captions, I run into problem sometimes.

Thanks,
    Tony

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmm here are some guidelines on selecting the best tag for your object(s):

Using Browser based apps:
    if your objects are static and have a caption use the caption. If it's dynamic, and they don't shift places, or new objects of teh same types are placed before it (HtmlTextField or HtmlListBox for example) that you know are not going to have another before them, then use Index or a combination of Index and Caption using multitag.
    If the index changes, try using the WinID instead, and you can even select a combination of previous text and location as a last resort.

Honestly it takes a case by case study of each object to deturmine the best tag for it.

I generally go through each window I declare to deturmine each tag I use... And you know about declaring objects with reference to their children... tag "[BrowserChild]#1/[HtmlListBox]Country/.." for example!
    I use that a lot... But the caviot is it disables your record recognition, yet it still works in runtime...

Hope that gives you a heads up!

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can subclass Html* is several ways. One way is to derive a new class from the existing class.

winclass HtmlLink2 : HtmlLink
    NewMethod ()

This requires that you change the class of your existing objects. Of course, this can be done fairly easily with Replace.

Another option is to create your own HtmlPage.inc file. You'll have to clearly identify what you add or change so you can manually merge the changes you make when you upgrade to a new release.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, Tony, AJ, Nancy, John and Rick,

I just posted a message to a wrong place. I think it shold be more relevent to post it here:
    ---------------------------
    I have a funky problem that is similier to this one (well, it maybe different):
    I use silk 5.01 and IE 5.01. I want to click a link, but alway get a item not found error. I found a funly thing that every time I record the same window I get different result. sometime the link I want is in htmltable1, other time it is in htmltable3. also the tag is different. This makes it impossible to write a code to click the link. However, I could do so by record the testcase, that make the code with many long red tag information in it and hard to read and maintain. Still worse is that the object identifiers in the recorded code is totally different (table, identifier, and tag) from that in the recorded window declearation. Anybody out there have the same experience and got a way to work around this. If this cannot be solved, I doubt silk is a good tool for Web testing.

-------------------------------------------

I carefully chose my tags. However, it seems does not work at all. Imangine when each time you get a different tag, or when recorded tag is different from that you get from the window declearation, it won't work no matter what tag you choose. Also sometime you may have only one choice, silk only capture one tag, such as only a #3 or so. The problem is that in the same window in different level there may be more than one item have the same tag. Rationally if it is not in the same level, the same tag should not be a problem, however, when I continue get Item not found error, I loss confidence about this.

John's solution seems very intelligent and may be hopeful, may you talk a little more about it? Thanks.

------------------
    jim.young@documentum.com

[This message has been edited by jim_young (edited 02-26-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, there is no one way to resolve the problem. Mine is not the best but I took ideas from AJ and others and play with it.

What I did is to add a generic function within the declarations. The function takes
    Record and Dataclass (I.e. HtmlLink). It first filters the Dataclass then for each wLink, I do a GetCaption and compare with my Record set.
    If they match, click, else return an exception.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast