SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Handling Multiple Environments (url\'s) For Same App

I'm having a tough time finding the best way to handle testing the same application in multiple hosted environments. Let's say you want to test the same web application in several different hosted environments -- the application is the same, only the url is different (technically, only a portion of the url is different).

Currently, I have the home page's 'const sURL' evaluate a compiler constant and concatenate that with the parts of the url that don't change.

This is OK, but I was hoping to modify this to a design that allows more efficiency when changing hosted environments -- because I use multiple option sets for different users that login to the app, I have to change the compiler constant for each option set...

I tried eliminating the compiler constant, replacing it with IniFileGetValue (in the sURL constructor) and IniFileSetValue (in a function that I could call from wherever). This didn't work and it appears to be because the 'const sURL' cannot evaluate an expression by calling a function to get a value.

Anyone have any ideas here? I'm sure I'm not the first person to test the same app in multiple environments...

~ Fred

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Handling Multiple Environments (url\'s) For Same App

I have a simliar situation. I handle it by having the tester tell me where they want to test.

The tester uses an Access application to enter their testcases (Expected Results, Tests to run, Environment Variables....)

They then just "press" the button to launch the automated scripts.

My silk script looks to the Access application for the url. It then uses an invoke that I wrote to get the tests to the right browser and url.

This works great because we are always changing url's around here and they don't stick around for more than a few days. I wouldn't get anything done but change hard coded urls for the testers.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blacst:
    I have a simliar situation...The tester uses an Access application to enter their testcases (Expected Results, Tests to run, Environment Variables....).

My silk script looks to the Access application for the url. It then uses an invoke that I wrote to get the tests to the right browser and url.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This sounds a lot like what I want to do -- could you send me any code samples that show how you are doing any of this? Particularly how you are dynamically assigning the url and environment variables...

TIA,
    ~ Fred

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sure can can you post your e-mail addr?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fhubert@skillsoft.com

It appears the e-mail address in our profiles is disabled, but then why do we have the option to either show it to other users or not? Sounds like a bug in the qaforums...

~ Fred

------------------