User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Verify Value on one page is same as Value on another page

Hello:

I am attempting to verify that a Text value on one page matches a value on another page.

For example, in the site I am testing I enter a dollar value for an investment account. Two pages later this value I entered appears in a total field. Both values should be the same. (Even though these are integers they are saved on our site as Text Values)

I looked through the SilkTest (5.5.3) help and was flooded with numerous Verify Functions.

Anyone know if this test calls for a Verify function? If yes any idea which one to look for?

[This message has been edited by CrazyQABoy (edited 12-03-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Verify Value on one page is same as Value on another page

you have 2 options I think. First one is the plain Verify (aActual, aExpected [, sDesc]) function.(look up verify function in the help)

If you have either a DynamicText class, StaticText class, or TextField class you can use object.VerifyValue (Expected)
    (look up verifyvalue in the help)

------------------
    Ryan McCullough
    Accelrys Inc.
    ryan@accelrys.com

[This message has been edited by rmccullough (edited 12-03-2002).]
    Ryan McCullough
    RightNow Tech. Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could assign the text value to a string variable on each page and see if they are equal.

String sVal = MyWindow.MyText.GetText()
    // navigate to the second page.

if MyNextWindow.MyNewText.GetText() != sVal
    // Houston, we've got a problem here.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the responses Ryan and DJ. I'm still in the infancy stages of using Silk Test. I was able to compare values successfully using both of your advice.

While creating this string my coworker and I came upon another issue related to comparing values. The values are constantly changing because our site is a financial site.

In the string below:

sVal = ASIAssetSelectionConfirmat.N480002.GetText()

The mytext value of N480002 is constantly changing. Do you know how to identify the mytext field as a field that constantly changes? We tried using an asterisk (*) but were getting the message: [ ] *** Error: Window '[HtmlText](*)' was not found
    [ ] Occurred in GetText

Any ideas on how to replace a static mytext value with one that is constantly changing?

[This message has been edited by CrazyQABoy (edited 12-05-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

View the Multitag declaration page in the SilkTest help, it has a bunch of helpful ideas for dealing with different window declaration issues.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrazyQABoy:
    In the string below:

sVal = ASIAssetSelectionConfirmat.N480002.GetText()

The mytext value of N480002 is constantly changing.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"N480002" is just one value of many that are possible for that field, right?

Change the name to something that generically identifies the purpose of that particular control. Then change the tag to something like "#1" (assuming that that is the first instance of that class).

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John J. Miller:
    "N480002" is just one value of many that are possible for that field, right?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yes, "N480002" is one of many values that are possible for this MyText field.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John J. Miller:
    Change the name to something that generically identifies the purpose of that particular control. Then change the tag to something like "#1" (assuming that that is the first instance of that class).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I did as you recommended above and the test case compiled and ran successfully.

After reading through the "# character in tags" section of Silk Test help I interpret the # symbol as a tag identifier that can accept a new value every time. Not as sure what the "1" means but I assume that if this tag existed elsewhere I would have to identify it as "#2" and so on.

Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrazyQABoy:

After reading through the "# character in tags" section of Silk Test help I interpret the # symbol as a tag identifier that can accept a new value every time. Not as sure what the "1" means but I assume that if this tag existed elsewhere I would have to identify it as "#2" and so on.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    It's best to think of "#-number" values as representing an index into a list which Silk maintains.

If a dialog has 3 instances of a text field class inside it, "#3" would identify the third field (in a left to right, top to bottom ordering). What's actually in that field doesn't matter when using this tag-form; Silk only knows that you want to interact with the 3rd instance.

John

------------------