SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Is Netscape 4.76 generally undependable with SilkTest?

I see mostly with IE, not with NC.
    But anyway, try this it might help.

(Do this right before your testcase starts)

- Wait for the Browser Ready (Browser.WaitForReady())
    - Use Page Down to get to the bottom of the page.
    - Use Page Up to get back to the top of the page.

Now, let your script run.

See any difference.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Netscape 4.76 generally undependable with SilkTest?

This is looking for general feedback from anyone who has written tests for Netscape 4.76. We've been writing a big suite of test scripts for our web portal app, and up till now I've been doing them only for Internet Explorer. Now I've just begun this week the job of seeing what needs to be done to make them work with Netscape as the browser, since it's supposed to be supported for our product. During the portal's development, Netscape presented ongoing problems, and of course its underlying source code has many differences.

Well, this has been a hell of a week. Thanksgiving comes none too soon. I knew there would be differences, but what has me at my wits' end is the number of times I've seen the behavior change in front of my eyes. I just finished spending a half hour building a proof-of-concept test case that I finally got to do what I needed to verify things, then I copied it into the realtime script and fired it up and it worked a few times and then when I came back to it later it failed, saying that such and such object could not be found. I went back and tried it in the practice environment and it failed there, too, after having run so consistently. I recaptured the window and nothing has changed in the declarations. The objects it saw before it can't see now.

Yesterday I found something inexplicable going on and called a colleague who was walking by. "Dan, look at this! It makes no sense!" As soon as he came over I ran it for him and it quit doing what it had done for the previous 10 minutes. We both laughed and shook our heads. What??? As he walked on down the hall, I ran it again and it went right back to doing what it did before Dan came by. I just about screamed.

I've seen many instances where Silk obviously sees things differently in Netscape than in IE, and I've generally been able to figure out how to rewrite things to accommodate the differences, but if it won't at least hold still and be dependable, so I can figure it out and build testcases, I'm up a creek.

Anyone else experience Netscape being slippery like this?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, that's curiously interesting. i can try that on Monday. What's the idea behind it?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Felecha,

I know why it worked with Dan in the room. I saw that same behavior at Attachmate. With me it was Steve coming in the room and while he was there the script ran beautifully. Question, is Dan a big guy? Steve is a big fella and we have concluded that the addition of his body to the room changed the air pressure and caused the script to run. It may be the case with Dan as well. It's worth looking into!

------------------

[This message has been edited by DJGray (edited 11-30-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dan - a big guy? Well, he's about average in size, but very smart. Maybe that did it. I invited him in since I was stumped, on the basis of "one head is better than none".

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you've entered the Twighlight Zone....

Are you using DOM for IE? If yes, then the differences that you will see between IE and Netscape will be many. DOM sees more objects than VO does.

If you are using VO for IE automation, the differences are going to be smaller. The differences that you will see can largely
    be chaulked up to the fact that IE and Netscape render objects on the screen differently. VO looks at how objects are rendered. Most common differences that you will find are tags used for tables, images and links.

I'm NOT advocating using VO with IE though. DOM is more stable and you don't have to jump through as many hoops that you do with VO. Bottom line is that it isn't a walk in the park to create an automation system that can test both browsers.

Adding support for another broswer for your scripts will take some work and a lot of it if you have a lot of references to a specific hierarchy of objects in your scripts. If you MUST automate both IE and Netscape, try to create methods that your testcases call and then use Browser identifiers to specify which method to call when different browsers are being used.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I use DOM for IE. It's just what I was shown when I started this job, with a short time to overlap with the intern who was leaving and whose job I took. About all I know is what I've briefly read in the manual the week I came in. So the DOM/VO stuff is something I don't know much about. Netscape is all VO, then, I take it.

Well, I now see there's a section in the Testing Web Applications pamphlet that comes with the boxed documentation set I was given. Looks like a subject for a good research paper. And it looks like since I have written scoodles of testcases against our web portal product using DOM and IE5.5, I'm in for a big rewrite of everything to make it work with Netscape.

Do you know of more resources than the manual (which sometimes is not all that's needed to learn what you want)?

------------------