User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After first testcase, Agent takes forever to set options again

I've created a suite of test scipts for our web portal application, and so far I've done it only for running on IE5.5.

During the portal's development, we have planned all along to be supporting IE5.0, IE5.5, IE6.0, Netscape 4.76, and Netscape 6.2. Automating the testing on Netscape has been a lower-priority task all along, in our haste to get it out the door. That's how it goes.

Well, it's out there now, and I'm taking up the task at last, of figuring out how to make the scripts work in testing with Netscape. I'm only a couple of months experienced with SilkTest, so it's going to be a new mud-wrestling project. I've already found that what I expected is true, that a lot of the pages in the portal app will have to be recaptured and a separate .inc file will be needed for the declarations, with lots of maddening details to run down.

But what has me really distressed on Day 1 is that every time I try to run a testcase, SilkTest cranks up and puts up its little window with its info on which testcase is about to kick off, etc, and it sits there and tells me it's "Setting Agent options..." for an average of 25 seconds each time. In developing things, I run thousands of little practice testcases to see how things are going, and I'm heartsick at the thought of waiting 25 seconds for each one to start. I'm used to a brief look at that little window and then we're off to the races. I don't know what to make of it.

Before starting, I set the extension to netscape 4, and went into Options/Runtime and pointed the "Use path" and "Use file:" settings to the new frame_NS4.inc file. Obviously there's a lot about the options stuff that I just don't know about. Still a rookie.

Since I don't know what to do but to bang my head against it and try this and try that, I've come up with a only one clue so far.

If I close SilkTest completely and start up again, THE FIRST TIME I RUN A TESTCASE the setting of the options happens in less than a second and then the testcase starts. After that, every time I run it I get the long wait and the message "Setting Agent options...". In fact if I explicitly close the Agent after the testcase is over, without closing SilkTest completely, same thing - a quick setting of options and the testcase starts, followed by the long wait every time after that.

Is there any command I could put into the testcase that would kill the Agent at the end of each one? Normally the Agent stays open continually, once it's been started.

Better, of course would be to find that there's something I just need to do correctly to not have it happen. Is it a Netscape issue? Everything else about Netscape and our application has been problematic.

Running SilkTest 5.5.3.1 [1047]

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: After first testcase, Agent takes forever to set options again

What does the Runtime Status window "Current Agent Call" field say during the "Setting Agent options..." delay?

In other words, what code is being executed?

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's where it says, "Setting Agent options ...", in that Current Agent Call field

------------------

[This message has been edited by felecha (edited 11-25-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After some more black box groping, I noticed that the Use Path: field in the Runtime Options dialog still had the domex.inc file listed ("extend\domex.inc"). I figured that one is the include for IE, so I replaced it with what I guessed was needed - Netscape.inc. The wait time for a testcase startup dropped to 8 seconds, and I thought, Good, that means something. But then, being the curious type, I reset it to domex.inc, and the wait time still remained at 8sec. ???!!!

Anyway, here's my complete Use Path:

C:\Catalina\CatalinaPlans\frame_NS4.inc, extend\domex.inc

and Use Files:

C:\Catalina\CatalinaPlans\frame_NS4.inc, extend\Netscape.inc

C:\Catalina\CatalinaPlans\frame_NS4.inc is of course the path to the .inc file I'm using for declarations.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could try checking the "print agent calls" box in the RunTime/Options, then terminate the test run (to see what Silk is doing) when it goes into that long delay.

John

[This message has been edited by John J. Miller (edited 11-25-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, didn't think of that. I was shown a bunch of stuff by the person who preceded me during the 2 weeks before she left, at the level of "Here's what you do". Since so far it's all been with IE, I've hardly touched the Runtime Options except to diddle with compiler constants. So there's a lot that I've never learned much about, unless a problem arises that involves that thing. I understand your ideas.

But now I don't know how I can test them . Guess what....

I got to a point with one of my scripts where the way that SilkTest was reading the portal window for that script was so different that I had to change not only the declaration but the actual code of the testcase itself. That put an end to the idea that I could just use the existing scripts written for IE and hope to modify the declarations, etc. No big deal, I'll just copy the whole suite of scripts into a new Tests_Netscape directory, and let them get edited to work with Netscape. But after copying them over and opening up the first one and getting down to work, I found ... Presto! The problem with the wait time has disappeared! I've gone back to the original IE scripts and back again to the new set of NS scripts, and I can't get it to hesitate at all. Boom! It jumps right to the browser and starts running. I'll be satisfied if this is the end of it, and a lovely mystery. If not, I'll try those things.

Sigh ....

Thanks a lot

Felecha

------------------

[This message has been edited by felecha (edited 11-25-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the demon is back. It didn't actually last all that long before it went back to waiting the 8 seconds each time. It's been an awful day, and I just couldn't spend too much time trying to save 8 seconds per test. But I really want some sort of solution some time.

Is there any way to just stop the agent at the end of each testcase? I haven't found any command or option that will do that.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by felecha:
    ... Presto! The problem with the wait time has disappeared!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whenever you run into inexplicable behavior, a solution that often helps is to terminate Silk and its Agent, then delete all of the .to and .ino files. Then restart.

As far as the default option settings are concerned they are all default-configured to handle the typical case that Silk might see. All of them are available for personal customizations that can affect your runtime performance and level of control over Silk's operations.

John

[This message has been edited by John J. Miller (edited 11-25-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A new clue -- it's apparently not the shutting down of the Agent that lets a testcase go off without a wait the first time, it's the "disconnecting" of the Agent from the browser. I found that if I leave the Agent running and close the browser at the end of a testcase, the next time it starts right up without a wait.

In developing testcases I long ago learned I could save lots of time by commenting out the Login() and Browser.Close() lines in each testcase. Being a web app, I have a function Login() that invokes the browser, loads the page, fills in the username/password, clicks the Sign In button. And at the end of every testcase I close the browser like a good boy and start fresh for the next one. I just shortcut things for development.

So this is new. I've worked for months with the Agent open and the browser continually running as I do repeated testcase runs while building things. I'm stumped.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by felecha:
    I found that if I leave the Agent running and close the browser at the end of a testcase, the next time it starts right up without a wait.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you tried minimizing it instead of closing it?

John

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast