User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest 6.0 Constantly Crashing!

And it's reproducable. I push the little run all button for a test script. I then start editing one of the testcases. The first time I type a period, the whole thing crashes, pops up an error that says partner.exe has caused errors and will be closed due to errors. Anyone know if there is an issue open with Segue about this? I love 6.0, but the entire thing might of been a little rushed if something this simple can crash it. Anyone out there confirm or deny that this type of thing happens?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest 6.0 Constantly Crashing!

Can you give more details? for example, the testscript file. Thanks

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I'm seeing the file doesn't matter. No matter which .t file in my project (in which there are 7 .t files and 2 .inc) I run, if I edit any other file it bombs out. From what little I know about 6.0 I think it seems like some conflict between compiler that is called when you type a period (or parentesis for that matter) and the agent. I tried a reboot of agent machine and still I get the error. I tried a reboot of my machine and still I get the error. Maybe I'll try a simultaneous reboot just for jiggles while waiting for segue support to get back to me.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you attempting to run a single copy of Silk (to remote agents, I assume) while concurrently editing a file?

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since running 6.0 it has crashed three or four times (on two seperate installations).
    Between us we could not establish why, but will look into it more next week.
    Also, I noted that I could change a variable value and then run the test and the test would run with the old value. I double checked that 'save files when running test' (I paraphrase) was checked. I noted that ST would sometimes not recompile the file before running the test. Bizarre.

------------------
    Tempus fugit, Carpe Diem, et al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got an answer from Segue: SilkTest does not permit the editing of Scripts or a Test Case while it is running a test with SilkTest 6.0. The reason being that when you run a test case and try to edit a script at the same time, you are causing a conflict in your systems memory which gives you the error you have described.

Does anyone else think that this is really lame? I did this all the time with 5.5, it was the reason I got an agent machine: Running regression testing while writing testcases. I'm really shocked to find out that loss of this functionality is a "feature". I really liked the new interface and code completion, but I can't afford to lose half my productivity. I'm going back to 5.5, thanks anyway Segue.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISSUE: Auto complete function is calling the compiler everytime a period is being typed in order to allow for custom classes. The conflict between compiler changing code that the running agent could be using is causing the system to crash.

WORKAROUND: I turned auto complete off, now everything works hunky-dory.

Listen up Segue...

SOLUTION: Have an option for auto complete to NOT automatically compile the code but instead use the most recently compiled version. That could be easily implemented with minimal loss of auto complete functionality (a custom class may not pop up in the autocomplete thing until I next do a compile all, no biggie) and maximum happiness to us Silk multitaskers.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While we're on the topic of crashing ST, I was able to crash it by using "Find and Replace," replace something, and then undoing it (c-z). This happens a little randomly with three possible results:

1. Undo works successfully.
    2. Undo decides to randomly erase some characters in the file (same length as the replace string) and 'undoes' it to the find string.
    3. SilkTest completely crashes.

Is this happening to anyone else? I think I'm going to put off suggesting them having multiple undo (hint: use stack!) before they actually figure out how undo works.

------------------
    Acceptance testing: an unsuccessful attempt to find bugs.
    Real computer scientists don't program in assembler. They don't write in anything less portable than a number two pencil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sackaroni:
    Does anyone else think that this is really lame? I did this all the time with 5.5, it was the reason I got an agent machine: Running regression testing while writing testcases. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do this all of the time too. The workaround, turning off autocomplete seems logical. But then -- autocomplete was going to be by main motivation for upgrading.

Perhaps I will wait a bit longer.

I appreciate all of you sharing of your experiences with 6.0 :-)

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ShadowFlair:
    I was able to crash it by using "Find and Replace," replace something, and then undoing it (c-z). This happens a little randomly with three possible results:

1. Undo works successfully.
    2. Undo decides to randomly erase some characters in the file (same length as the replace string) and 'undoes' it to the find string.
    3. SilkTest completely crashes.

Is this happening to anyone else? I think I'm going to put off suggesting them having multiple undo (hint: use stack!) before they actually figure out how undo works.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    This is a common problem for me in 5.5sp3hf1.

------------------
    -Josh
    -Josh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast