Thread: TAGS gone wild

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TAGS gone wild

Hi,

Would someone kindly help me with this problem, please?

When I record the window declarations for the first time using all the tags and run the test, everything works fine.

[-] HtmlText User
    [-] multitag "User"
    [ ] "^Services[8]"
    [ ] "#13"
    [ ] "$null[4]"
    [ ] "@(287,119)"

But, when I try to run the same test using the same declarations from the same PC after sometime, I get an error saying "*** Error: Window '[HtmlText]@(287, 119)' was not found"

Now, when I record the declarations again for that same object they are different:

[-] HtmlText User
    [-] multitag "User"
    [ ] "^Defaults[2]"
    [ ] "#10"
    [ ] "$null[1]"
    [ ] "@(361,131)"

So, my question is why does this happen and is there a solution to overcome this problem ?

Why do the TAGS go WILD without being consistent ?

Thanks a lot for all the help in advance.

Regards,
    -firstPerson

------------------
    "Fee"lancer
    http://www.FEELANCE.com
    Think Differently
    QAwebsite.com
    GeeksNeed ...(Know what geeks need)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: TAGS gone wild

Hi,

I've debugged a little further by turning on "Print agent calls" and "Print tags with agent calls" in the run time options and below is what I got:

[ ] SystemAdministration.User.GetRect () tag="/[MainWin]$explorer5_DOM[1]/[BrowserChild]System Administration - Services/[HtmlText]User|Services[8]|#13|$null[4]|@(287,119)"

[ ] *** Error: Window '[HtmlText]@(287,119)' was not found
    [ ] Occurred in GetRect

Now, it even more puzzles me. Awaiting your kind help.

Regards,
    -firstPerson

------------------
    "Fee"lancer
    http://www.FEELANCE.com
    Think Differently
    QAwebsite.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first suggestion to you would be to TURN OFF all the tags except those that are really useful. Typically with an HTML page these would be the Caption and the Window ID (the $xxxx tag).

By using all the options, you're asking for trouble (and it looks like you found it)!

As a guideline, only use the bare minimum to identify your objects. If you're using Prior Text, Index, and Location (the area of your problem) you pretty much have to have a COMPLETELY static application to test.

Now -- the cause of your problem is, as I noted above, the object location. What appears to be happening is the object is "moving" within the page. Not unusual given the variability of HTML and browsers. Thus, it truly can't find an object at the coordinates you captured initially. In fact, your follow-on attempt to recapture the decls shows that the object is now at a new location.

That new location is likely "closer" to the "Defaults" object (thus the Prior Text is now different) and may even be at a new index on the page.

Hope this helps you get a little closer to your goal.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Brent,

First of all thanks a lot for your reply. I've followed your suggestions and have tried it with just the "Caption", "ID" and the "prior text" but I still see a similar error.

To give you an idea, the application Iam trying to automate is a menu similar to the one found at the TOP of the page at http://dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/sm/index.htm

The problem Iam having is that, the script can identify and click all the toplevel menus (Web Building Sites, New Sites, Free Downloads, Search Engines, Miscellaneous) as well as the submenus (dropdowns) that you'd see on mouse rollover.

The only place where it fails is when it tries to identify "Dynamic Drive/Downloads.com/Tucows" under "Free Downloads". That's the only place it ALWAYS fails and I've no clue why ..

It works fine with the rest of the menus and submenus.

Iam going crazy thinking why only those particular submenus under "Free Downloads"?

It'd be a great help if you or someone else could give some advise/solution/debugging tips or hints ..

Thx.
    -firstPerson
    QAwebsite.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Brent. Don't use multitag unless you have a very good reason to do so. For the example site, a single static tag for each object will work far more reliably.

To determine why the "Free Downloads" menu items seem different, compile your test with Run/CompileAll. Then use Record/Identifiers to see what Silk sees by moving the mouse cursor over each menu item. If the dialog shows a dynamic instance - a class definition and a quoted string - your declared tag is incorrect.

You can also do this using Record/Actions.

John

------------------

[This message has been edited by John J. Miller (edited 11-15-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by firstPerson:

In my case, Iam able to see the object "Free Downloads" as in the example but the problem is that silk sometimes does not identify the submenus underneath it. Instead it recognizes the object underneath it.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoops! Take a look at my second paragraph again. I intended it to refer to the 'menu items', not the 'menu' itself.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah..Iam sorry Guru ;-)
    But I still see that problem with those particular group of "menu items."

But the only way I overcame this problem was change the order of execution of the tests. Everything worked fine when I moved the 4test statements that tested the "menu/menu items" which existed before "Free Downloads" to the last.

In other words, I moved the set of 4test statements that tested "News Sites" to the end. I have no clue what kind of dependency this has but it works in my case.

Please let me know if anyone has a valid reason for this kind of behavior.

Thx.
    -firstPerson
    QAwebsite.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello John,

Thanks for the reply.
    In my case, Iam able to see the object "Free Downloads" as in the example but the problem is that silk sometimes does not identify the submenus underneath it. Instead it recognizes the object underneath it.

The following is the actual HTML code for the page Iam using:

&lt;SCRIPT LANGUAGE='JavaScript'&gt;

mn4 = new Array
    (
    "User", "/Web/AB/PageJSP/AbFrame.jsp?Page=MAIDEF", 0
    ,"Profile", "/Web/AB/PageJSP/AbFrame.jsp?Page=VMLNEWMBX", 0
    ,"News", "/Web/AB/PageJSP/AbFrame.jsp?Page=APPVMLDEF", 0
    )

absPath="";
    if (sepFrame && !openSameFrame) {
    if (document.URL.lastIndexOf("\\")&gt;document.URL.la stIndexOf("/")) {sepCh = "\\" ;} else {sepCh = "/" ;}
    absPath = document.URL.substring(0,document.URL.lastIndexOf( sepCh)+1);
    }
    popupOffset = 0;
    if (NS4) {
    document.write("&lt;" + "SCRIPT LANGUAGE='JavaScript1.2' SRC='/Web/Common/JS/ns4.js'&gt;&lt;" + "/SCRIPT&gt;");
    } else if(Opera) {
    document.write("&lt;" + "SCRIPT LANGUAGE='JavaScript1.2' SRC='/Web/Common/JS/opera.js'&gt;&lt;" + "/SCRIPT&gt;");
    } else if(IE4) {
    if(document.getElementById)
    document.write("&lt;" + "SCRIPT LANGUAGE='JavaScript1.2' SRC='/Web/Common/JS/dom.js'&gt;&lt;" + "/SCRIPT&gt;");
    else
    document.write("&lt;" + "SCRIPT LANGUAGE='JavaScript1.2' SRC='/Web/Common/JS/ie4.js'&gt;&lt;" + "/SCRIPT&gt;");
    } else {
    document.write("&lt;" + "SCRIPT LANGUAGE='JavaScript1.2' SRC='/Web/Common/JS/dom.js'&gt;&lt;" + "/SCRIPT&gt;");
    }
    document.write("&lt;" + "style type='text/css'&gt;\n");
    document.write(".CL0 {text-decoration:none;color:White; }\n");
    if(!IE4&&!DOM) document.write(".topFold {position:relative}\n");
    document.write(((NS4&&!bBitmapScheme)?".mm2":".mit ")+" {padding-left:4px;padding-right:4px;}\n");
    document.write("&lt;" + "/style&gt;\n");
    //--&gt;

&lt;/SCRIPT&gt;

&lt;div class='PullDownMenuBar'&gt;
    &lt;table id='mainSXMenu1' cellspacing=0 cellpadding=1 style="{background-color: #336666; border: 0px; }" &gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td style="{background-color: #336666; border: 0px; }"&gt;&lt;table id='mainSXMenu2' class='mm2' width='100%' cellspacing=0 cellpadding=4 style="{background-color: #336666; border: 0px; }"&gt;&lt;tr align='center'&gt;
    &lt;td onMouseOver='chgBg("tlm4", 3); expandMenu("mn4", event)' onClick='chgBg("tlm4", 3); expandMenu("mn4", event)' onMouseOut='chgBg("tlm4",0); collapseMenu("mn4")' id='tlm4' bgcolor='#336666' class='mit' style="{ background-color: #336666; }"&gt;&lt;font color='White' face='Arial,Verdana,Tahoma' size='2'&gt;&lt;A ID='tlm4a' CLASS='CL0' HREF='Javascript:void(0)' onMouseOver='expandMenuNS("mn4",event)' onMouseOut='collapseMenuNS("mn4")'&gt;&lt;div id='mn4top' class='topFold'&gt;Defaults&lt;IMG WIDTH=16 HEIGHT=16 SRC='/Web/Common/Images/sxiconad.gif' align='texttop' border=0&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/A&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/td&gt;
    &lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;
    &lt;/div&gt;

Iam not sure if there is anything to do with this code. But just wanted to get your opinion on that.

Thx.
    -firstPerson

[This message has been edited by firstPerson (edited 11-15-2002).]
    QAwebsite.com