User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest Agent running as a service

Hi everybody,
    I fillowed instructions in the windows resource kit and setup SilkTest agent to run as service. It seems to be running OK except I can't record windows definitions at all.
    My problem is that I want to be able to automate even login process, so if no user is logged in on the client machine, SilkTest would connect to it's client and run login script (sending keystrokes).
    I know I can setup the autologin in the registry, but my testcases require me to logout and login as a diferrent user to verify the other user's profile and my app's setting for him/her.
    Any idea why if agent is run as a regular app I can record windows definitions but if run as service I can't?
    Thanks...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest Agent running as a service

I don't have the answer as to why it would record declarations (?definitions?) differently, but is it an option for you to run the agent normally, record your declarations, and then "use" them with the agent running as a service, or does the agent not see them then either?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I want to record logon dialog box declaration then agent must run as a service.
    Like I said in my previous posting, I must be able to logout and log in, so setting the registry to autolog in is notan option for me.
    Thanks anyway...
    Michko

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, wait... After thinking through what you are trying to do, I now realize how foolish my question was. Yes, of course the agent has to be running as a service at that point.

So, the question then becomes one for NT gurus: Is there a way, with NT/2000 to force that login dialog to appear in a "logged in" state so you can get declarations on it?

Another possibility would be for the script to pull user data from a database or ini file, modify the registry appropriately for that user's login, then force a reboot and let autologin load that user data. This could be done at the close of each script for a lengthy list of users.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think this will work because when you logout it will close all open applications. your agent service may still run.

My guess is that you will have to do somethign VERY general like:
    ------------------
    Ryan McCullough
    Accelrys Inc.
    ryan@accelrys.com

[This message has been edited by rmccullough (edited 11-14-2002).]
    Ryan McCullough
    RightNow Tech. Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you log out, then the service is stopped. However, if you tell your system to restart, disconnect the agent, and wait for the system to restart, then you can re-connect to the agent and login. The trick is forcing a delayed reboot. If you do not you will get an error of agent not responding.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont know that it will kill the service. There are many services that continue running even when you log out. FTP, IIS, DNS, DHCP, NetSupport(like pcanywhere). So the silk agent service might not be killed on logout. I dont know what the guy is asking at this point tho, if he wants to know how to capture the Login dialog which is going to be dang near impossible, or if he wants to know about rebooting and restarting the agent.

------------------
    Ryan McCullough
    Accelrys Inc.
    ryan@accelrys.com
    Ryan McCullough
    RightNow Tech. Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tlvranas:
    If you log out, then the service is stopped. However, if you tell your system to restart, disconnect the agent, and wait for the system to restart, then you can re-connect to the agent and login. The trick is forcing a delayed reboot. If you do not you will get an error of agent not responding.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Services remain running even when no user is logged in.

My suggestion would be to try to have SilkTest (with Agent running as a service) get a list of all desktop windows when no user is logged in. This hopefully would return the login dialog. Then you could use the GenerateDecl method to get the window declaration and print it to the results file. The final step would be to manually create a window declaration for the login dialog based on the results file contents.

------------------
    Matt Gray
    Kofax Image Products
    Matt Gray

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MattGray:
    My suggestion would be to try to have SilkTest (with Agent running as a service) get a list of all desktop windows when no user is logged in. This hopefully would return the login dialog...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Desktop.GetChildren(TRUE,FALSE) returned nothing.
    I had to write a little console application that would reboot the machine. I change the registry to autologin and send SYS_Execute("reboot") and after reboot I'm in.
    This works most of the times, but it happens from time to time that Server side would hung because the client's agent was forcefully closed.... I'm still trying to get the best way of doing this.
    Thansk everybody for the suggestions...

------------------