User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spawn or parallel ???

Hi all,
    I am fairly new to the SilkTest and have problem spawning the process. I've searched this forum, but all the questions-answers were for spawning processes on two (or more) agent machines. What I need is to spawn process on a single agent machine???
    Let say, I start setup.exe of some application and I want to be able to do other things on the same machine...
    Is this possible at all???

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Spawn or parallel ???

I don't think you need to spawn another process. Just do what you'd manually do or may be I didn't understand the need for it clearly. Is that a silient install?.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, you can spawn on same machine.

I am not sure if you could do something other than related to the same application under test. ie not on multiple applications. But you can do two processes on the same application or application and silk/agent related processes or calling multiple functions which do not conflict.

------------------
    -gram

[This message has been edited by gram (edited 11-01-2002).]
    -gram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, guys, you rock...
    I didn't expect so many replies so fast.
    My problem is that I don't know exactly how to set the application base state, so in order to invoke setup.exe, i run SYS_Execute with the setup.exe as a parametar.
    This SYS_Execute holds up all of the steps that I'm (script is) supposed to run...
    How do I do this???
    Thanks in advanced for being so helpfull and not making fun of me....

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you may be hitting the "SYS_Execute() blocks / fails to return" problem that you'll see mentioned several times in this forum.

In other words, you're doing the right thing, it's Silk that has the problem ...

Based on your last comment, it's really a case of "getting started", right?

Begin by starting up setup.exe manually and doing a File -> New and select Frame File from the Wizard. This will allow you to record a new frame for the setup.exe. Part of this process sets the application / variables such that the base state will automatically run setup.exe for you.

I'm actually not in front of Silk at the moment, so I don't have the exact steps, but hopefully this will get you pointed in the right direction.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Brent,
    Yes it is really "Getting Started" and some of the things mentioned in the user's guide are strange to me, so I went back to my old proowen way of learning the new stuff: trial and error.
    As soon as I sent my last post I found fhis "AppToBeTested.Invoke ()" method, so I'm up and running with it and I like it so far.
    I know that I'm gonna run into more problems again, but with so much help from this forum, I'm acctually looking forward...
    Thanks again...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KS has a point. If you're merely wanting to run several applications as you would if you were using them manually by moving from one app' to the next, then you don't need to spawn anything. Just do a SetActive() to the app' you want to interact with.

John

------------------