SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Variables give different behavior than hard coded???

I have declarations for LandingPage. In this we find several dozen nested menuitems that are HtmlText.

What is the appreciable difference between:

LandingPage.MicrosoftHealthcareMenuItem.Click()

and

wBasePage.sMenuItem.Click()

when

wBasePage = LandingPage
    and
    sMenuItem = MicrosoftHealthcareMenuItem.

On the latter, I get an error telling me that sMenuItem is not a member of LandingPage. What this tells me is that it is attempting to see that variable literally rather than what it represents. Yet, it debug, the variable is correct. Hard coding this works beautifully.

What am I missing here?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Variables give different behavior than hard coded???

Just a SWAG ... but is the 'trick' the fact that wBasePage is probably declared as type WINDOW and sMenuItem is declared as type STRING?

Would it work differently if sMenuItem were declared as a WINDOW, too?

I just suspect that in your example you would need something along the lines of wBasePage.{sMenuItem}.Click() or worse, the dreaded indirection of wBasePage.@(sMenuItem).Click(), to make it do what you expect ...

I've spent NO time looking at this so apologize if I'm smokin' something ... it's just an off the cuff observation.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do something similar, I won't bore you with the details but, You will have to declare the whole object path in the one window variable.

(Example)
    ------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silk uses the variable literally - as part of its concatenation process to create a fully qualified tag. The variable appears to be correct but because it is of type string rather than a variable of type window it won't compile. Note that:

wBasePage.@(sMenuItem).Click()

will compile but won't work either even though the contents of variable sItem are now of type window. The reason for this is that the original assignment of the window 'Open' to the string variable results in sMenuItem containing the entire fully qualified tag. In essense the tag has an unnecessary, duplicated parent. To fix it use:

@(sMenuItem).Click()

instead. To retain an obvious source-code reference to the parent wBasePage you can 'cast' the variable to a window type using a dynamic tag. The call would look like this:

wBasePage.MenuItem(sMenuItem).Click()

Nifty stuff huh?

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makes sense to me!

Next time I'll try to spend some time before I SWAG it ... sorry for the potential red herring.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brent Rolland:

... sorry for the potential red herring.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not necessary in my view. I was oh soooo tempted to answer the question last night (without Silk to prove my assertions) but didn't after writing at least 3 different responses. The statement:

sMenuItem = MicrosoftHealthcareMenuItem

stopped me because it just had to be wrong - Silk doesn't support that kind of implied cast.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brent, no need for the apology! I appreciate any and all feedback. (And don't be smokin' that stuff anyway... )

John,

You are a gentleman and a scholar. Your solution works beautifully and I've learned something new about Silk as a bonus!

Thanks all.

------------------