Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recognize windows dynamically

Hi All,
    I have the following requirement.
    1)Based on the user's selection of checkbox or radio button a different window appears.
    2)Identify that window and functionality with respect to that window.

I planned to do that in Following Steps:
    a)Select the button/checkbox.
    b)Identify the name of the window appeared with respect to the list of window names stored in array or list of window.( I may use Desktop.GetActive().GetName()),
    c)Perform the steps based on window name.

This kind of requirement is used in different installation types and other individual situations.

I would like to get the experts opinion or suggestions on this requirement.

Murali
    Intuit
    _ _ ___________ _ _
    Murali K Parepalli

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Recognize windows dynamically

Here's my 2 cents...
    Well, there's some way that you are "data driving" your tests to tell SilkTest which buttons or checkboxes to choose. Based on the choices and your knowledge of the software under test, you should "know" what the expected window is. If it does not appear it could be a bug.

If you do a pattern match as you mention, you can fall into the trap of matching the possible windows, but the context could be wrong (e.g. you click New and the Edit window pops up, and your code just handles the Edit window without logging a failure).

On the projects I manage we use SilkTest records to Get / Set values on the GUI dialogs, so we have the context to know what window(s) should appear.

------------------
    Steven Tyler
    SQA Automation Team Manager
    Workforce Central Group
    Kronos Incorporated
    E-Mail: styler@kronos.com www.kronos.com
    Improving the Performance of People and Business™

[This message has been edited by styler (edited 10-23-2002).]
    Steven Tyler
    Manager - Performance Engineering

Kronos Incorporated
    tel: +1 978 947 4219