SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rational TestStudio or SilkTest

I am in the process of purchasing a testing tool and trying to decide between TestStudio and SilkTest. The application is a stand alone Java Application that is not web related. Its supposed to be OS independent.

The testing tool needs to be OS independent aswell if at all possible.

Suggestions? Warnings?

Thanks

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Rational TestStudio or SilkTest

This would be a place where I really recommend SilkTest over TeamTest. SilkTest was voted By developer magazine, and (even by me) the best Java test tool. I have tried both, and when testing Java applications is when I really recommend it over any other.

I don't say TeamTest is bad, I just say Java support is a little light. TeamTest has a better harness than SilkTest, and is easier to learn, but again in Java, SilkTest wins.

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Rational TestStudio or SilkTest

If Java applications is all you are testing you are buying a sledge hammer to knock in a pin.

I have been using MS-Test, Visual Test, SQA Robot and TeamTest ( just to complete the lineage ) so what I am about to say is tainted. Recently I have had to use SilkTest.

Test Tools in general are expensive ( more so with SilkTest ) and what you should be targeting is productivity gains. I have read alot of techno talk comparing a procedural versus OO and other such stuff. This really is not the main issue.

AT the end of the day your decision should be based on the type/size of the projects you will be working on. I don't mind SilkTest for the environment I am working in because I have the time to develop the robust scripts that SilkTest can do. The product I am working has a long like cycle and we are continually enhancing it.

On the other hand if you work for a Software Vendor with possibly small projects, where you have tight deadlines you should be really looking at TeamTest or WinRunner. These tools have simple VB scipting languages, intelligent recorders and generally have a quick turnaround time. They are quicker to learn out of the box and use simple VB type commands which are generally easy to understand. If your team does not have the Automated Test Tool experience then this would be the way to go. Silktest is not an out of the box product. It will take an experienced tester months to start righting scripts in a productive manner.

If Java is all you are testing then it might be a good idea to work with your development team and work out what you need to test and cost compare developing Java Test Scripts versus buying what is an expensive tool ( i.e. SilkTest and most others )

My view in general is that you only gain from test tools when you are serious about them and get the commitment from management to set up and automated test environment.

------------------
    Robert Tehve
    Tester
    Robert Tehve
    Tester