Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WinRunner expert considering switching.

I'm a veteran WinRunner user who's getting a little fed up with Mercury Interactive lisencing, and the possibility of product discontinuation. I've heard good things about SilkTest, and am considering a product evaluation. To this end, it would be greatly appreciated if someone could answser some general questions:

1) How well does Silk Test interface with java applications?

2) Can you load and call external functions written in a dll?

3) Is there a concept of a "gui map"? In other words, are the descriptions of gui objects stored in a separate file outside the test script?

4) Is the scripting language similar to C? Are there types? arrays, structures, functions?

5)Are the lisences site specific?

6) What is the list price for one SilkTest?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: WinRunner expert considering switching.

Good to see you here!

The first question.
    "How well does Silk Test interface with java applications?"
    Silk does as well or better at interfacing with Java Applications. Java Object recoginition is top notch and getting better every day.

"Can you load and call external functions written in a dll?"
    Yes you can but they must be written in C. Silk doesn't know what to do with pointers.

"Is there a concept of a "gui map"? In other words, are the descriptions of gui objects stored in a separate file outside the test script?"

They are called Include Files. The objects are recorded in a "Frame" file that is imbedded into a .inc file. The include file can also contain functions and methods that you extend for the objects you have recorded. The inc file is a text file. It would be most like a .h file from C. They are much more powerful than Mercury's Gui Maps.

"Is the scripting language similar to C? Are there types? arrays, structures, functions?"

It is C based it does do type checking on compile. There are Arrays and more powerful lists. Functions and more powerful methods and classes. It also interfaces with datababases quite well.

"Are the lisences site specific?"

The license is run through Silkmeter. If you bought 10 licenses. You would place Silkmeter with the license file on a server that everyone can connect to. That way you can install Silk Test on every machine in the company and still be legal because only 10 of you will get the tool to run at any one time.

"What is the list price for one SilkTest?"
    There really isn't a list price. But you can contact your Segue Rep and they can work out something with you.
    http://www.segue.com/html/s_about/s_offices.htm

Good luck. Personally I much prefer Silk to winrunner anyday for any automation job.

I seem to be stopped, not by any tool limitations but only my imagination for solving problems.

Unfortunatly, that was not true with winrunner.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My currrent client is doing exactly the same thing of changing from WinRunner to Silk. I don't think I'm going to be involved much in that process, but I'm interested in it. So, as I hear about the progress of their switch, I'll pop back and let you know about it, and I'll probably also be 'in the margins' watching to see how you're doing as well.

------------------
    Jean James, CSTE
    J.James Consulting, Inc.
    "I deliver what I promise, and I only promise what I can deliver."
    Jean James
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    I deliver what I promise, and I only promise what I can deliver.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for your informative and persuasive response - you've convinced me to go ahead with the evaluation. It would be good to get back to "novice" status, as I've nowhere left to go with WinRunner.

------------------

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Product discontinuation' really!!!!!
    Are they stopping new version release of WinRunner/tech support or are they discontinuing Mercury products. They seem to be having major market share, especially WinRunner & Load Runner.....whats causing them to discontinue???

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly my question as well. What's the story on this "discontinuation?"

------------------

Yep, even I heard that Mercury want to discontinue newer enhancements to WinRunner and slowly spend their efforts on to other products they have. Though I don't have clear picture, I think they will have WinRunner functionality in other products they have. It could be a consolidation instead of having too many products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello
    Mercury Interactive is pushing their new automated functionality testing tool: QuickTest, I heard from a very reliable source that (1) there won't be new releases of WinRunner in the future, (2) MI will be releasing patches for sure, (3) MI will support WinRunner for at least 5 more years, (4) there will be a tool to convert WinRunner scripts to QuickTest scripts.
    QuickTest scripting language is VB instead of TSL. It is a much easier to use tool than WinRunner but not as powerful as WinRunner yet.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BEAMORE is right. I heard the same thing right from the Mercury rep himself.

------------------

[This message has been edited by blacst (edited 10-14-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi bpolitzer,

If you want to evaluate silktest oy buy silktest, you can contact me. We are working with in segue tools from last 6 years. Here is my email address.
    DewanC@Isardata.de

------------------
    Chitra Dewan
    Chitra Dewan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast