User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Segue Certified SilkTest Engineer (SCSTE) Exam

Has anyone taken (and passed) the newly revived Segue Certified SilkTest Engineer (SCSTE) Level one and two?

I have a group of about 12 people (of various abilities) doing this soon and would appreciate any information as to structure of the exam and level of difficulty.

Thanks,
    Tom

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Segue Certified SilkTest Engineer (SCSTE) Exam

I hold Certificate No: STE00007.

The first test can be successfully passed without the classes, but the user had better know their way around Silk Test in their sleep. If they don't I recommend the taking the classes first.

I have been using Silk Test since 96 and know my way around Silk in both the Web and Client Server environments. Even with that I would not have passed the second test had I not taken the Advanced OO and Custom Object classes.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have all taken the new Advanced class, but I have my doubts about some of them. I have used silktest myself for 6+ years, but I don't come from a programming background (even though I do write scripts most of the time without recording). I have to take it myself, and have some doubts about the first go arround. What made the second exam so difficult?

------------------

[This message has been edited by woodman (edited 10-10-2002).]

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are comfortable with window declerations, base states, options sets and specially custom control i.e getting text from a custom grid you should not have any problem with 2nd exam.
    Honestly, it's a piece of cake (no offence to anyone).

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This question (for KS)...just wanted to know how you can get text from a custom grid. I am working on a Java app that Silk doesn't recognize the table with cells. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KS,

You are right about the types of things on the second exam. It was just that I had not done a few of the major things on the exam. Those things were covered in detail in the class and made the test much easier to take. Had I not had the class, it would have been very difficult to accomplish the tasks they ask you to do.

In my opinion, an understanding of programming will be needed for the second exam. There are a lot of OO and "Hooking" activities that you would really understand better if you had some background on how that stuff all worked. Not necessarily of how to do an "if else statement" but the basic understanding of what OO really is and how SilkTest implements it. It is really good to know what is in a dll and how to hook into it and use it.

------------------

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are right classes made a big difference.
    One of the best way to deal with custom control is to use relative cord technic if everything else failed. They teach you that in the advance custom control class.
    To get the text out of a custom grid I used copy /paste.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for your replies. I have delayed a couple of more weeks and will let you know how things go when we have completed the exam.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks KS, copy/paste sounds like a good idea. Also, would you mind elaborating a bit on relative cord technic? I don't have the luxury of taking the advance custom control class. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kchan,

Not to speak FOR anyone else, but I believe KS is referring to the ability to get a rectangle on a given object, (text, buttons, fields, etc.) and then manipulate the control/object based on the coordinates of that rectangle. If you know a button is at a certain coordinate on the screen, then you can move your mouse there and do various things at those coordinates.

Look in the help under RECT and you'll find a lot of good material on this.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast