SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Which machine needs more power?

My experience is that SilkTest itself does not actually require a lot of overhead and runs just fine on old Pentium IIs and even Pentiums (memory can be an issue if it is < 128K). The speed of performance of your AUT on the box is the critical factor to consider.

Slowness is not always a negative to testing. I have (occasionally) found bugs in an AUT that show up on slow machines, but not fast ones :-)

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which machine needs more power?

I'm a frequent reader of your forum and have always found good information, so I'm sure some of you out there have some thoughts on this topic.

I've been using Silk 5.5 to test a web application for a little over a month now, and have now amassed enough test cases that I'll need an agent machine to run them on. I'm blazing along on a brand new P4 2.26 GHz 512MB RAM computer that has all the horse power I could ever use. Due to budgetary concerns, the new "agent machine" will probably be about half the machine of my current one.

My question, which one do I use for the agent machine, and which one do I use for developing the Silk code, emailing, jukebox, and of course surfing qaforums.com. I'd hate to have all that horsepower on the agent machine if it doesn't need it.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sackaroni (edited 10-03-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Sackaroni (edited 10-03-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know what other folks will think, but I suspect the only thing you really need to watch out for is memory and operating system. I personally use two development computers: both P3/700, one with 64MB RAM and one with 128MB RAM. Both of these are development/general use/run the agent computers, and I've had NO complaints WRT Silktest.

We also have run Silktest (less development, but a lot of agent) on a Pentium (maybe P2 or PPro?) in the lab; it's <300MHz, although I don't have the specs at hand. We -- er, someone else -- use it daily, and I've heard no complaints about the speed.

Obviously this will also depend on the applications under test. For us, we're testing with two or three reasonably-intensive client-server apps; I'd expect better performance with a web app.

In short: keep the good computer. Just my thought.

-Tim Crone
    Lvl7 Systems, Inc.

------------------
    --
    Tim Crone
    Broadcom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ideally I've found that having two Silk PC's is much more efficient development-wise than having just one. That way you can code on one while the other is running tests.

The advantage of using Silk on the faster PC instead of the slower one is reduced overall run time. This savings can be quite dramatic.

You have to balance this against your desire to retain the faster one for work-related activities. If you can swing a second Silk license, you can have it both ways. Another selling point is that you can cut full regression runs in half with each PC sharing the work load on overnight runs.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have used one Compaq Deskpro P100 system, Win NT, 128Meg of Ram (a couple years ago) to control 24 systems running the Silk Agent for over 110 hours. I never ran into any memory problems on the Host system. These scripts were very simple and only contained the declarations needed for the test. I think the design of the scripts that were used for this test help by being small.

One thing you can do is run performance monitor on the system under test and watch the CPU and memory usage. This will give you an idea of the load on the system. If you have to give up some speed, go for as much memory as you can.

------------------