Thread: VisualAge C++

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VisualAge C++

It may be a silly question to some.I am wondering if an application is developed using IBM's visualage c++ tool vs. microsoft's visual studio c++. Would Silktest recognise the controls. Someone from Trivoli IBM group had asked me regarding using a automation tool to test their app and I am assuming that Trivoli apps are developed using VisualAge. Any comments or suggestion would be appriciated.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: VisualAge C++

The fastest and most reliable answer is to call Segue and ask.

John

------------------

KS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Their answer "Visual what.."

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll preface my answer with the fact that I haven't looked at a VisualAge C++ app in over 2 years......

What I found then was that PushButtons, CheckBoxes, RadioButtons are all seen as the same class as BUTTON. Class mapping wouldn't work as the style bits were not unique either. Had to use bitmap comparisons to tell whether a checkbox was checked or not.

ListBoxes and PopupLists were owner drawn (for speed purposes - IBM). This means that Silk will only see #1, #2, #3 as the contents of these fields. The developers of the application were able to add code so that Silk could copy the actual text of these objects to the clipboard in comma-delimited fashion and from there we could make methods work just fine.

There were also instances of StaticText that sould not be seen either as it was graphically drawn and not a real object.

For the most part it was doable, but count on spending some time up front to work around some of these limitations.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com