User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Record Window Declarations not agreeing with runtime

Testing a web portal application.

I need a function to locate images and click on them. The names will be changing, and there's no Window ID being reported, so location is what I have to use for identification. All the images I want are in a row -- they are "tabs" that a user is going to click on to go to another page. I have the algorithm I want, that will correctly pick out the images I need to identify, get their locations, and call Click(1, xPos, yPos). In fact I've written the whole thing and watched it work. My code correctly finds them and clicks them.

But what bothers me is that I see the Record Windows Declarations not reporting the image locations the same way as Silk is apparently seeing them.

Just now I have it set up to display 2 tabs. I run the Record Windows Declarations and hover over them and see "live" values of

1178, 75
    1229, 75

The key to the algorithm is that it looks for images with a specific y-location. But at runtime, the testcase apparently is seeing them at 67. I put debug statements in a loop to get a printout of what Silk is seeing

RECT r = Images[n].GetRect()
    Print(Str(r.xPos) + ", " + Str(r.yPos))

I just ran it with two tabs, and got

1230, 67
    1277, 67

For now, it's working. As my favorite teacher used to say, "Hey, working is good." But it's very unsettling. I don't like tests dependent on unreliable detection.

Any ideas?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Record Window Declarations not agreeing with runtime

Just as you must modify object labels and tags after a Record/Declarations to suit your purposes you may also have to adjust coordinate-offset values.

One of the characteristics of coordinate offsets is that they are affected by a number of things including the thickness of dialog box and window edges, caption heights, and the zero-point reference.

The zero-point for an offset is going to be Screen, Frame, or client which are roughly equivalent to Desktop, Window/dialog and object. You'll need to experiment with each of them a bit to understand their uses and how to make them fit your needs.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, that helps. At least I'm not going crazy.

Thanks

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few observations:

GetRect(TRUE) returns the coords relative to the whole desktop. Then you can (often) do a Desktop.Click() and you'll have more reliable coordinates -- because they won't be relative to a parent window. (Although using the relative coords works well, too, as long as you have thoroughly investigated what you are doing.) So tag using the locations tag if you want, but then do a GetRect to find out where you should actually click.

I don't know whether the location tag in Record - Window Declarations corresponds precisely to the xPos and xSize of the rect. Would have to investigate further (too lazy), but I wouldn't just assume that's correct.

Your application's main win, even if maximized, might not be as large as the desktop -- ours is off by several pixels. To verify, do a Desktop.GetRect and look at the size. Then maximize your main window and do a <MainWin>.GetRect(TRUE) and see what you learn.

AG

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One query though ..

I thought that relative co-ordinated were more reliable in case the app wasn't under too much makeover, in case we use desktop relative co-ords wouldn't it depend on the screen resolution, monitor and all that stuff ? This would drastically reduce the life and scope of test scripts.

Am I correct or what ?

------------------
    never say die
    Life, that dares send, A challenge to his end,
    And when it comes say, Welcome friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by witchcrop:

I thought that relative co-ordinated were more reliable in case the app wasn't under too much makeover, in case we use desktop relative co-ords wouldn't it depend on the screen resolution, monitor and all that stuff ? This would drastically reduce the life and scope of test scripts.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The use of coordinates, in my opinion, is a last resort. They are best used in tables or spreadsheets where the environment is essentially static if no other identification method is possible.

Application location, object location, and screen resolution all come into play to adversely affect the blind targeting of any position you wish to click.

If you must use this method, isolate the invoke code locally to the container for which it applies. Then abstract that invoke everywhere it's needed rather than allow that offset to multiply.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Complete agrement here also. Coordinates are an absolute last resort. Also, I believe relative coords are better. Using the desktop methode necessitates that the always appear in the same place. If one works with a non-maximized application, this can cause problems.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought so.

Thanks a bunch

------------------
    never say die

[This message has been edited by witchcrop (edited 09-30-2002).]