User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read past end of buffer...

Silk Agent is throwing a Read Past End of Buffer exception on an ungodly huge form on a web page.

This page is way ugly, something along the lines of what is causing Alice to have Interface Poisoning in the current Dilbert series.

I have declarations on it. I can automate against it for about an hour. Then, without warning, I get the buffer exception every time this page is loaded. I'm attaching an html of it. Rename the file from *.txt to *.html.

This page is actually a capture of the lower right frame. There is a top frame and left navigation frame, and this is one of four tabbed pages that appear in the lower right frame.

What could be causing this exception?

My only means of curing it at this point (happened more than once) is to uninstall Silk, delete the dir, clean the registry and reinstall. Note: simply uninstalling and reinstalling does not clear the failure. I must blow the directory and clean the registry.

------------------
    bummer! can't attach the ungodly huge page because it exceeds the max file size! that should tell you something.

Okay, well, there is a "super secret" website you can get to. If you believe you might have some input for this, email me at zbelfdink@hotmail.com and I'll send you the URL with an ID and PW and nav directions to see the offending page.

[This message has been edited by DJGray (edited 09-25-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Read past end of buffer...

1. Why is the registry involved? Are you writing entries to it in your testcases? Maybe a review of those entries is in order to look for corruption or exceeded size limits.

2. Since you've whacked Silk several times already, you might consider writing up that web page as a virus. At a minimum it might be considered a usability issue. (I'm not reeeeal inclined to want to download it.

3. A read past end of buffer error can appear if you're building strings or records that are too big - around 30K, IIRC.

4. Since you're able to run for around an hour, memory utilization is also a potential cause. Periodically print the memory use numbers into Silk's results file to see if there's an increasing trend. If so it might be caused by a memory leak in the test app. Slow object appearance is one easily recognized symptom. One possible workaround in this case is to minimize the app periodically.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a timing issue between SilkTest and the Agent. According to Segue Tech Support, there is no specific cure as it happens with all combinations of Browser and SilkTest versions.

Some points to look at are:
    1) Agent>Options>Timing, ensure that there is some small delay in the keyboard and mouse.
    2) If using remote Agents ensure that all Agents are the same version.
    3) use the ClearCache method.
    4) insert some sleep time.
    5) try the same script on a different machine.
    6) call fcn ClearCache() at the beginning of the testcase

Good luck.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is nuts!

Happened again after about 10 minutes. I'll try the suggestions here.

Since this is a known issue with Segue this has to be fixed. Good grief!!! How annoying.

John,

As for the registry, I'm cleaning it up after an uninstall because the Silk Uninstall leaves about a dozen or so registry settings behind.

Thanks for the feedback.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing...

Setting the mouse / keyboard deley to a hundredth of a second has solved the problem, or so it seems. I would not have made that connection, but probably should have because I know forcing Silk to click on objects that don't exist will cause this buffer exception.

Good call!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man! I hate to even go here, but this is happening again. After working for almost a week or so with no problem I'm getting the "read past end of buffer" exception on this particular page.

And again, the only way I can find of solving it is to uninstall and reinstall Silk and that's a MAJOR pain. Plus, it only gains me about 10 minutes of useful work time before the same exception is thrown again.

The mouse and keyboard delays are not solving it this time, and neither is the ClearCache() method.

I'm just about to throw the monitor out the window again...

Any more ideas?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ran out of idea for me too. I had really bad experience on one Silk machine with this problem. But, when I tried the script on other machines, there were no problem (don't know why).

So, the only thing I would suggest here is to try the same script on another Silk controller machine, another agent as well.

------------------

[This message has been edited by silk1 (edited 10-04-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Agent "End of buffer" error can be caused by more than just the size the data being read in.

I get it whenever my master SilkTest machine Connect()s to a remote SilkTest agent that is a different version.

Perhaps one of your Agents was not updated with the latest Service Pack update ?

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RobKapteyn:
    I get it whenever my master SilkTest machine Connect()s to a remote SilkTest agent that is a different version.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This brings up a related point. Accidentally updating Silk and leaving an older java2 or Agent code in an local folder that your app' uses can cause problems too.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob,

good thought, but I'm running this on the local machine at the moment.

John,

Thanks also for your feedback. No Java involved here.

Current solution has been to install the 6.0 beta and run with that. Working so far, but then who knows.

Support at Segue has suggested a Browser.WairForReady() right at the spot where this is blowing chunks. Will try that this morning.

Appreciate everyone's feedback on this issue!

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast