User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compile error only at runtime

Hi there,
    I have an error I don't understand. We are running silk 5.5 SP 3.

Our tests are sorted into test areas. Each area has it's own folder. Each folder has the same files.
    1 .pln f.e. (area1.pln)
    2 .inc-files (area1.inc)
    and one .inc file called (customer.inc)

area1.pln, area1.inc are unique whereas customer.inc is existent in each folder of a test area.

Every night we want delete our testpool and check it out via cvs. This means no compiled objects like .ino or .to are existent.

Most test areas run without problems but sometimes we get compile errors saying the testcase named in area1.pln is not known. This testcase is stored in customer.inc. If I know make a compile all of customer.inc the tests run without problem till I delete the testpool and checkout the newest testpool with cvs.

If i don't delete all compiled objects this error doesn't come up. Does anyone have an idea what we can do to get rid of this problem.

All compiled objects are stored in one directory.

Bye
    Patrick

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Compile error only at runtime

SP3 has compiler problems (to be fixed in 6.0) that are made worse when using test plans. However when they occur, we usually see a message along the lines of: "failed due to previous compile errors" - even when there aren't any. We 'cured' it by going back to SP1 (don't know about SP2).

1. Exactly how are you deleting the object files between the runs of each folder?

2. Do you have the Options/Runtime "save objects" checked?

3. Don't you run into run-time problems when all folders rely on the same object folder? If all objects aren't deleted between plans, you'd likely see cases where second folder runs might act strangely when one of its source file's is down level from a same-named file in the first folder - ie: it wouldn't get compiled.

John

------------------

[This message has been edited by John J. Miller (edited 09-23-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try SP1. we had problem with sp2.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John J. Miller:

1. Exactly how are you deleting the object files between the runs of each folder?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    We use a dos batch script which which deletes the complete folder with all subfolders.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>
    2. Do you have the Options/Runtime "save objects" checked?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yes I have

3. Don't you run into run-time problems when all folders rely on the same object folder? If all objects aren't deleted between plans, you'd likely see cases where second folder runs might act strangely when one of its source file's is down level from a same-named file in the first folder - ie: it wouldn't get compiled.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Perhaps this is our problem. But we never had this problem before using cvs to control our sources.

Perhaps I found the problem. If I don't use one folder for all compiled objects but the folder where the source file is stored there seem to be much less problems.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I don't use one folder for all compiled objects but the folder where the source file is stored there seem to be much less problems.
    [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can keep source separate from objects by creating an "obj" folder where the source folder exists. Then set Options/Runtime "objfile path" to "..\obj".

John

------------------