User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VerifyBitmaps on two separate PC\'s

Hello All,

I have 2 Agents and a Main () function that runs testcases on both Agent PC's.

I'm running the testcases on both Agents.

For Example:
    Testcase 1 uses VerifyBitmap. On day one I run it on Agent 1, on day 2 I run it on Anget 2. Thus, the VerifyBitmap fails.

Is there a way to allow the VerifyBitmap to work on both agents without failing?

BTW - I'm using do... except for VerifyBitmap.

------------------
    Who Tests The Tester...
    Who Tests The Tester...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: VerifyBitmaps on two separate PC\'s

I am not completely sure as to what you are doing but just for a pointer use the GetBitmapCRC () function rather than VerifyBitmap ().

Hope this helps.

------------------
    never say die
    Life, that dares send, A challenge to his end,
    And when it comes say, Welcome friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are your colour schemes the same on each PC? If not, then make sure they are.

Be careful if you use different operating systems on each. For example Win 2K uses different greys and different fonts in it's standard schemes compared with NT4. There is one scheme on 2K which is exactly the same as NT4 but can't remember what it's called and makes 2K look as dull as NT4, so I use this to keep it simple.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Video cards should be the same on each machine as well.

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If all these other suggestions fail, why not capture and store a baseline bitmap for each machine? As long as you verify initially that the two baselines look enough like each other to meet your spec, you will have a test that you can really rely on.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make sure color depth (16bit, true color, etc.) AND OS (Win98,NT) are the same on both.

Also Reference bitmaps must reside on both PCs (The agent process loads the reference bitmaps)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off--Are you sure that using Bitmaps is absolutely needed. Always look for another way. They might be needed, but just make sure first.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've done VerifyBitmap across OS, video card, screen resolution, and color depth... The only thing to keep in mind is that it has to look EXACTLY the same, and so the caveat about making sure the Windows colors are the same is a big deal.

If you are only testing something that is 8 or 16-bit color (or 4 or 2, for that matter , it's not important that the color depth is identical. If it's a very heavily-colored image, you might have to watch out.

Resolution tends to take care of itself, as long as it doesn't scroll off the screen (everything you use is in pixels, after all).

Watch out for the grays! Really! If you can avoid copying them, do so; they are different by default at least in '98/NT and 2K/XP/.NET (not to mention when other people play with them). This was the most annoying problem I found with VerifyBitmap.

If the gray is not much of the image, there is an agent directive (OPT_BITMAP_PIXEL_TOLERANCE) you can use to accept some bitmap variance. This is dangerous, but it might help you. I've not used this, since the times I thought I might need it I was able to clip around the grays.

To prevent having to move around test bitmaps, I uuencode'd them into list of strings and then decoded them with the function I posted elsewhere. (Use the second version; the first one only works on NT variants.) At least that way you can only transport one script file, instead of a script+assorted.

On the other hand, if you've only got two test machines, you probably don't need to code in a lot of flexibility unless you expect to get really big really fast... up to you.

-Timothy Crone
    Lvl7 Systems, Inc.
    --
    Tim Crone
    Broadcom