SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Link Tester in 5.0.2

Is there a special way to make a local file the base URL for a link test? I need to test the links on my local drive before they go live on the site..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Link Tester in 5.0.2

What about checking them out within the Personal Web Server you can get from Microsoft? I haven't worked with that part of 5.0.2 yet so I don't know. What's the doc say?
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE]
    <LI]Peter
    <LI] pfwick@nortelnetworks.com
    <LI]Epicon, Inc.
    </UL]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey peter thanks for the input.. actually personal web server is my only thought as well. I was hopeing to get some validation before i went through the steps of setting it up. As documentation goes.. we upgraded online from 5.0.1 so I dont have any "5.0.2" documentation.. only what is provided online and in help files.. not much is said for LinkTester..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After I downloaded 5.0.2 and discovered LinkTester, I was initially impressed by it but then found it seriously lacking for the size of the sites I support.

Luckily someone spammed one of the bases here around the same time and curiosity got the better of me. The site that was advertised (can't even remember what it was) linked to Watchfire.com which produces an excellent product called LinkBot Pro ($395 per domain - sounds hefty but after using it for the 15-day trial, you'll pull out your own credit card and expense it like I did!)

I highly recommend you check it out. I've been able to set it up to start from a local file and then define related internal domains to continue scanning.

The best part is that I've been able to use it in concert with SilkTest. As it's scanning it can generate a list of all the pages on your site with forms.

I export this list and then send it through a Silk loop call to GenerateDecl...automatically generating the declarations for the pages that have application functionality.

Basically, using LinkBot to do all my link testing and then Silk to do functional testing...we've got it covered.

The best thing about LinkBot is that it can scan using up to 30 connections so the scan is ultra-fast....not only that but it's an excellent way to put random stress on your server to find performance issues. We even used it to locate a memory leak!

Sorry if this sounds like just more spam, but trust me, I'm just a happy user of the product and wanted to share...especially now that I've been able to "integrate" it with my SilkTest usage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Nancy, like you I have left LinkTest in the trunk. I found another third party product called Link Runner. This application has some potential as well. I will definately take a look at the application you are speaking of, it sounds like a great tool. Thanks again for the input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

User K. Hari Prasad (khprasad@quark.stpm.soft.net) posted:

Hi
    Can anyone has used Link tester thatis availabel in Silktest 5.0.3?
    If so pls explain me the purpose of it and how to use that and its
    applications and etc stuff.....

Thanks,

K.Hari Prasad
    Post message: silktest@yahoogroups.com
    Subscribe: silktest-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
    Unsubscribe: silktest-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
    List owner: silktest-owner@yahoogroups.com
    URL to this page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/silktest

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/