SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Automatically selecting which PC is free.

I have a main () function that looks like the following:

As you can tell I have allocated certain test cases to either Machine 1 or 2. Is there a way to tell SilkTest to run the next test case on the next available machine.

For example: if I start TestCase1 on Machine 1 and TestCase2 on Machine 2 (at the same time), I want TestCase3 to start on which every machine finishes the test case first. If Machine 2 finishes TestCase2 before TestCase1 on Machine 1, then I want TestCase3 to start on Machine 2.

Hope I made sense...

------------------
    Who Tests The Tester...
    Who Tests The Tester...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Automatically selecting which PC is free.

It can be done, but instead of thinking in terms of allocating testcases to the computers as they finish their previous testcase, think of it as each computer finishing a testcase and asking for a new one to run.

Have a list of testcases to be run somewhere separate (e.g. a testplan list variable, or an external database). Spawn two threads to run on the two machines; after the testcase finishes, the thread asks for the next not-yet-run testcase from the list, marks it as run, and runs it.

You'll need to be careful about access to this list; I recommend the use of the keyword "shareable".

Actually, there is an example in the user's guide of a set-up quite similar to what I just proposed; see the "Testing in parallel, but not synchronously" in the "Implementing Client/Server Testing" chapter.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Automatically selecting which PC is free.

I have just profiled a customer for segue@work who is doing exactly this - only instead of 2 PCs, they are doing it on 30!

They can run their test suite and as a PC completes a test and is available, SilkTest directs the next test to it.

If you email me with your contact info, I will put you in touch with the customer (as long as they are willing, but I think they will be).

Kind Regards,
    Heidi Gilmore
    Segue
    heidig@segue.com

------------------