SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to get silk to tell me an object\'s screen location?

Trying to find a way to test a feature of our web app. It's a web portal with custom page content for the user. There's a link on each page that brings up a popup window where you can change the layout of the components of the page, with drag and drop of little images that represent those components. When you click Done to return to the page, the layout is changed to what you did.

I'm trying to find a way to write a testcase for that, and I'm thinking that if I could get Silk to do some kind of GetLocation() of the little images, before and after the drag and drop, I could verify. I've been able to do the drag and drop, using DragMouse(), and it works, but then what? The only thing I can find is GetLocation, but that seems to be for the location of the taskbar.

The tags for the images are explicit - @72,264, for example. As I move the mouse over things while doing a Record Window Declarations, I can see the tag change if I drag the image - @112,264. How can I get at the numbers in the tag?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How to get silk to tell me an object\'s screen location?

Why not GetRect()?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't think of that one. I see Silk call that one all the time as a step in clicking a button. Thanks, I'll try it when I get to work.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perfect!!

And I can use it to get the location for my DragMouse() calls, too

Thanks a lot

F

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Felecha,

I use GetRect() a ton! Pretty much any time Silk has a problem manipulating an object because it just can't seem to locate it, GetRect() pulls through for me. A great example of this is the JavaScript menu items our devs are writing are not viewable by Silk. Silk sees them as HtmlText, so I wrote a little ClickLeftMenuItem(string sItem) function that gets a rect on that text and clicks there.

GetRect() is one of my heros.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DJGray --

Very interesting stuff. When I started here I was fresh out of school, and didn't even know much HTML. The comapany puts out some industrial strength stuff, many text pages of wild javascripting etc for a single web page, and it's been exciting to figure my way through what it all means and how to get Silk to deal with it. The more I learn the more I see tricks I can use to get what I want. The GetRect thing has been wonderfully helpful. Luckily, all the javascript items are seen as HtmlLinks in this one.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh, then you are most fortunate. The JavaScript that is being produced here (my current contract position) is not Industrial-Strength. No... approved for Home Use Only!

Anyway, I'm excited that you are enthusiastic about what you are learning.

Stay here. I love this forum. You'll find some heavy-hitters here who are very free with their knowledge and insight.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DJGray (edited 09-20-2002).]