Thread: C# and .NET

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C# and .NET

Hi

I was wondering if anybody out there knows if the next version of SilkTest will support C# and .NET. I have spoken with someone in tech support and they tell me that the next version should support it.

I wanted to take a quick poll to see if anybody out there is currently using SilkTest with a C# / .NET application. If you are, I would also like to hear your opinions and issues.

Thank you

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: C# and .NET

Our development group has been using C# and .NET (Beta first) since Dec 2001. I have not really had any major issues using SilkTest in this environment. Fortunately for me, we have not implemented any custom user controls that would present me with any real challenges. Our application is a very thin client with all objects rendered in standard html. We are using some standard .NET web forms controls such as DataGrid. DataGrid is being rendered as a standard htmltable, so I have not had any issues with it.

The one issue that I have had has been around our use of content divs. We have a main content div that sits above a fixed bottom toolbar. Whenever any object is not in the viewable area of the content div, SilkTest cannot find it during test execution. My basic workaround for this was to increase resolution.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there anything you had to do to Silk to get it to recognize controls? Did you have to turn on any extensions of any kind. I am having a hard time getting Silk to recognize a simple combo box. Our app is a stand alone app and not a web related one.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did not have to do anything to SilkTest to get it to recognize controls. My experience using SilkTest with .NET is probably not that valuable to you since you are testing a stand alone app insted of a web app.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assitance.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I've heard, the next version (6.0) will not support .Net but the version after that will.

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you everybody for your help.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have received several inquiries about .NET support for SilkTest 6.0.

According to our SilkTest Product Manager, .NET is partially supported in SilkTest today, as follows:

Using browser clients and WebForms, if the WebForms only use standard HTML controls, you can test with SilkTest today.

When you start using WebForms with WebControls (new controls like a grid,
    calendar), SilkTest will have difficulty - we'll add support for these controls post-6.0. Last, if you are using WinForms, again, no support today, but we'll be adding a VB-like extension to support that. You can use class mapping with WinForms and get roughly 80% recognition - radio buttons, check boxes, push buttons are all part of a new button base class, and are seen by SilkTest as the same class.

------------------