SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Selecting an item in a treeview that is currently not in view...

Here's my problem. I have a treeview with at least 100 child objects. I have expanded the tree. The problem is if I want to select an item that is not completely in view. Here's the picture...

Tree1
    |_Child1
    :
    |_Child 100

What's only viewable in the application is the first 40 objects in the tree? Now, what if I want to select the 41st or the 50th object, how do I go about this? I tried doing an ExposeItem() but that didn't work. Does anyone have any other suggestions how to approach this problem?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Selecting an item in a treeview that is currently not in view...

We have run into several problems with the Treeview in selecting items in the list that are not displayed. What we did was to use the built in process of the select, and had a fall back process if that did not work. Our workaround did the following:

1) Expand all items in the tree
    2) Get the contents of the tree
    3) Do a list find on the contents to get the index of the item we are looking for
    4) Get the index of the item the cursor is currently on
    5) Use page up / down to make sure the item we are looking for is in view
    6) Select the item by index.

This is a lot of work and I would only suggest using if no other process works. Another thing I have found in working with tree views. If the item you are looking for in the tree view is not fully displayed then the selection will not always work. In our application we had to expand the width of the tree view to a pre-set max to make sure all of the items could be read (left to right) without scrolling.

Help this helps.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ran into this problem with a treeview control that didnt want to play nice. What I did was run a check like this

Its scrolls a page until the item you want is visible then selects it. Kind of like above but a different style.

------------------
    Ryan McCullough
    Accelrys Inc.
    ryan@accelrys.com
    Ryan McCullough
    RightNow Tech. Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I typically solve this problem by temporarily setting the Agent options OPT_SHOW_OUT_OF_VIEW and OPT_SCROLL_INTO_VIEW to TRUE. SilkTest handles all the necessary action quite smoothly. It seems to be necessary to have both set in order to enable this.
    Andy Bachman

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've also seen this problem. It seems to me that Silktest has no problem selecting the item (even if it's not in view) if the item is higher on the list than what is currently being viewed. So if you're looking at the last item in the list, it never has a problem.

The way I think I solved it was to:
    Expand the list,
    Select the first item in the list,
    Send the End key (should select the last item in the list)
    Then use your Select.