User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

non-editable fields not captured by silktest

Hi,
    Our client-server application added a new non-editable field called “EDI Ind” (with values either Y or N) and I want to verify, that for a given Provider #, the correct EDI Ind value will be displayed. For example, Provider # ABC has an EDI Ind of “N”.
    Ideally, knowing the object name I could type
    Verify(ProviderDetails.General.EDIInd.GetText(), “N”) and if the displayed value is N, it passes the test, if Y then it fails.
    The problem is that I can’t determine the object identifier for EDI Ind since SilkTest doesn't seem to recognize the textfield EDI Ind so I can't capture it in the testframe.

Segue suggested using TypeKeys I could tab to the field - highlight - copy to the clipboard - GetText from the clipboard - attribute this to a string and compare this to an expected string. but i can't do this since SilkTest doesn't capture the object.

Somebody suggested recording the field as a bitmap but it's going to open up new problems in that I would have to create a bitmap to compare the existing with and a comparison wil fail if the image does not have the same screen resolution, color, window frame, etc.

For our application, SilkTest doesn't seem to record window declarations for non-editable fields. Does anyone have a better solution for this?

Thanks in advance.

------------------
    evie
    evie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: non-editable fields not captured by silktest

Is this on browser or win32 app?

Michael

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Exactly what do you see in each of the following Record modes when you move the cursor over this text field:

with Record/Tag?

with Record/Identifier?

with Record/Class with "all classes" checked?

2. If you can perform the text-capture manually with any form of "copy" operation like Ctrl-C, and paste the text into an editor, Silk can be coded to perform that same action.

3. What can your development engineers tell you about this object?

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

This is a Win32 app and all i see it the frame when i move the cursor over the textfields grouped under it.
    how do i perform copy operation?

------------------
    evie
    evie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems you have a custom object which needs to either be mapped to a standard object or define some routine to get the text from it. Do a search in the forum for custom object to see various techniques to see them.

Anthony

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

I've already mapped all the custom objects to standard ones but my problem now is that SilkTest can't see all the non-editable textfields and can only see the frames whenever i record window identifiers.

------------------
    evie
    evie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can verify absolutely that record - window declarations sees only the frame and not the "EDI Ind" control, then the next question is: can you highlight the control and hit Ctrl-C (or something like that) to copy the control's text to the system clipboard? If you can find a way to do this manually, then you can do it in SilkTest -- you don't need to be able to pick up the control via recording.
    If you cannot capture the value of the control to the clipboard manually, then you'll need to do a bitmap compare, or work with your developer to enhance the AUT to make it testable (provide a GUI workaround or print the info to a log file or export a function so you can call into it from another module or ... something!), or buy and learn the SilkTest Extension Kit. If you opt for the bitmap compare and want to address the problem you mentioned about monitor dependencies, you can capture your bitmap baseline at runtime rather than capturing the baseline earlier on a different machine and storing it.
    AG

------------------