SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

computer performance

When I run a test, it takes the computer a long time to execute it. Is there a recommended configuration for maximizing the performance of SilkTest? My script takes about 3 minutes to run this code on a page with many form variables:

lwBrowserPage = BrowserPage.GetChildren()
    for each wObj in lwBrowserPage
    switch(wObj.GetClass())
    case HtmlPopupList
    Print(wObj)

I have 256mb of RAM, pentium III, windows NT sp6

------------------
    Clay Givens
    Lead QA Automation Test Engineer
    HotJobs, a Yahoo! service.
    406 W. 31st 9th Floor
    New York, NY 10001
    Clay Givens
    Yahoo! QA Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: computer performance

Silk performance can be increased considerably by dropping the values on the Options/Agent Timing and Bitmap tabs.

Also unchecking everything on the Options/Agent Verification tab will help.

The downside of these advanced techniques is that you may have to write your own equivalent routines to ensure that these checks are made where they are important.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks John, I tried that, but apparently the type of proceedure I'm running is continuous, where those time variables are set for the breaks in the overall silktest runtime algorithm. (that's my casual interpretation)

It seems like at the actual segment of the runtime sequence where my code is executed, there's some serious lag. It takes up to 30 minutes to read a single page (in the manner I'm doing it).

When I take a window declaration, it's nearly instant, but accessing the page via drilling down through the DOM accessing properties and methods of window objects requires a lot of processing power. I'm debating whether or not I should throw some more RAM in here, or actually request a faster processor.... what do you think?

------------------
    Clay Givens
    Lead QA Automation Test Engineer
    HotJobs, a Yahoo! service.
    406 W. 31st 9th Floor
    New York, NY 10001
    Clay Givens
    Yahoo! QA Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't be so quick to toss in more than 256 megs of RAM. First check your system performance (Ctrl-Alt-Delete / Task Manager - Processes and Performance) while the GetChildren is executing -- is SilkTest hogging 98% or so of the CPU? (Maybe SilkTest is stopping your browser from completing its work, so that you have a bottleneck. You could try downgrading the priority of the SilkTest process -- that has worked for us in certain loops on XP.) Is SilkTest running entirely in virtual memory? (Check your page file size, etc.) I assume you have no processes running except SilkTest, Agent, and the browser. Are you waiting for your browser to finish loading everything up before calling GetChildren? I'm just casting about for ideas here, but it seems to me that your problem is not in having insufficient RAM, but in using it not to best advantage.
    By the way, if you do mess around with your Agent options, I'd suggest setting and restoring the options in code, just for that one troublesome call:
    BOOLEAN bVerifyEnabled = Agent.SetOption(OPT_VERIFY_ENABLED, FALSE) // or whatever
    lwBrowserPage = BrowserPage.GetChildren()
    Agent.SetOption(OPT_VERIFY_ENABLED, bVerifyEnabled)
    AG

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One particular setting which I have found slows things down a lot at runtime is the "Write to disk after each line", when a lot of stuff is being logged to the results file.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or you could do something like to check for the page to finish loading:

------------------
    Ryan McCullough
    Accelrys Inc.
    ryan@accelrys.com

[This message has been edited by rmccullough (edited 09-12-2002).]
    Ryan McCullough
    RightNow Tech. Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try this. In NT run regedit and set the memory cache key "LargeSytemCache" to 1.

I can't give the exact location in the reg, but it is in the current controll set somewhere. I usually do a search for LargeSystemCache and find it no problem. This has always greatly increased Silktest Performance in WindowsNT helps a little in Win2K but seems to have little effect in XP.

The problem you are having is system related in conjunction with Silktest.

------------------
    Looked again, The key is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Session Manager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache

[This message has been edited by woodman (edited 09-16-2002).]