User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest for Commandline Testing?

Hi All,

I'm just starting to use SilkTest, and am finding this forum incredibly helpful!

I'm wondering what people think about the feasibility of using SilkTest for commandline testing. We're thinking of using Perl to do this - things like executing our app using the commandline interface, and then comparing the exit code and the ouput against "golden" exit codes and output.

SilkTest doesn't exactly spring to mind as the best tool for this kind of testing, but since we're already using it for GUI testing, there are advantages to using the same tool for our CLI testing as well.

Does anyone have experience or thoughts about this? One of my concerns is certainly Unix/Linux-support, which is important for our commandline testing. From what I can tell, the SilkTest agent isn't even available on Linux, but it seems like the SilkBean could probably serve our needs. Another advantage to using Perl is that we'll want to use regular expressions in the golden output - something Perl seems very good at, though presumably we could somehow do this with SilkTest?

Thanks,
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest for Commandline Testing?

Silk can perform command line testing by using Typekeys to send commands and copy/paste to retrieve results - parsing is entirely up to you. If regular expressions are important, Perl would be a better choice. String manipulation with Silk will get old quick.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had a Command Line Interface for our app. We very much used SilkTest [Typekeys()]and to my knowledge it worked excellent.
    However important points to consider here were the type of output that the app was supposed to generate, the base line comparisons made and the requirement of String manipulation or use of regular expression, which was not required in our case. Also the app was tested for only Windows so that can be another barrier for you.

Well that was our experience.

Best of luck and do keep us posted.

------------------
    never say die
    Life, that dares send, A challenge to his end,
    And when it comes say, Welcome friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're using Silktest for CLI testing as well (same basic reasons as you cite). For us, it was fairly painless to use TypeKeys, then select the whole screen (using Windows functions) and copy it to the clipboard. We now have a dozen or so parsing functions that use the Clipboard.GetContents (). I guess the complexity of those depends on what exactly you are testing.

You might want to telnet or ssh (using Putty, of course into the Linux box, if you find it is useful to use SilkTest. You could even register a dyndns.org name, if you couldn't have a static IP address.
    --
    Tim Crone
    Broadcom