SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VMware and recognition

One of the people I work with sent me this question. He works in a different city which makes it hard to work things out. I have never worked with VMware and tried to recongize objects with Silktest on it and wonder if this might be the problem. If so, are there any work arounds?

He is using 5.5 SP 3
    I have verifed his extentions should be right IE 5.x DOM both in the Extention Enabler and in Silktest. The runtime contains extend\explorer.inc
    ************The question***************

I'm running Silktest under win98, using IE5.0, to run the tutorial (I'm using VMware which means my win98se is running under winnt4.0) when I open the Window Identifiers dialog box, on moving the mouse over the button for the browser (Home, reload etc) they display in the dialog box ok however when dragging the mouse over gifs or buttons the dialog box just shows 'Browser', I've checked my set up (extension enabler and run time environment setup) and it seems to be ok ?
    What's the deal ?

*************End Question**************

------------------

[This message has been edited by blacst (edited 08-28-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: VMware and recognition

VMWare just mimics a PC. It's not too much different from using an old, slow PC. From the OS's perspective, it should look identical.

First, is he running Silk on the virtual PC, or the physical PC? This makes a pretty big difference, since the physical PC will see the VMWare app, while the virtual PC will not (and should run just like a normal PC because of it). I would always recommend running the software on the virtual PC unless you absolutely could not get away with it.

If he is already running Silk on the virtual ('98) machine, I'll add that I had some trouble a while back when I had two browser windows open (also under '98. I think I had IE5.5 at the time). Once I closed the browsers (so only one was open) and restarted Silk, things started behaving as normal. That's kind of an elementary solution, but maybe it'll do some good.

Sincerely,
    Tim Crone
    Lvl7 Systems, Cary, NC
    --
    Tim Crone
    Broadcom