SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unable to open .res file

Hi I have recently started using Silk Test and upon running a script I sometimes Silk reports that it can't find the *.res file

The .res file exists in the same folder as the script.

Does anybody know what could be causing this problem?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Unable to open .res file

This is almost certainly a problem with the .jou file (the 'journal' file). When running a script or testplan, silktest logs the results to the journal initially, then constructs the results file from the journal after the run has finished.

When you open a results file in silktest, it first checks to see if there is an associated journal file; if there is, then it opens the journal, extracts the latest results from there, and puts them in the results file before showing it to you. If the journal has become corrupted (can happen if silktest crashes out half-way through test execution for example) then it might not be able to open the journal, and fail to open the results file at all.
    The only solution to this kind of situation is to go and delete the journal file. A bit extreme (you lose all the results from your last run) but it works.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!

I have done that and it still did not work but have found that I had a long script name (spaces included) and upon renaming it, and thus renaming the .res file name, silk is able to open the file!

I would have thought that if the results file could not be a long file name or could not contain spaces then the script file would have the same limitation!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have seen the same problem in older versions of SilkTest but have not seen this happen on 5.5 SP3

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.