BMD
    Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spend Time On The Names,,,Right?

I found out how to replace and shorten most of the names and make them more meaningful

I have made GoroupWiseTestToolProject.SetActive()
    to GW.SetActive() and so on. I have also used wildcards, This is nice.....the name changes is there everyone feels you need to spend some time before scripting, Right?

[-] testcase gw () appstate none
    [-] recording
    [ ] GW.SetActive ()
    [ ] GW.TreeFolders.Select ("/BRUCE DEJAIFFE/Calendar")
    [ ] GW.TreeFolders.Select ("/BRUCE DEJAIFFE/Mailbox")
    [ ] //GW.ListContents.Select (";""Todd Griglio"" <toddgri@microsoft.com>■Additional Microsoft Resource for M & T■08/26/02 01:45PM;""Todd Griglio"" <toddgri@microsoft.com>;Additional Microsoft Resource for M & T;08/26/02 01:45PM")
    [ ] GW.ListContents.Select (";""Todd Griglio*")

------------------
    There but by the grace of God go I.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Spend Time On The Names,,,Right?

Your getting it!

The Frame and Include files (both with the .inc extention) are the key to the whole thing. Those files and what you put in them will determine how easy it will be to write scripts and how maintainable they are.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you're AUT is as simple as the sample application that came with SilkTest, Text Editor, where captions for dialog boxes, textfields, etc. are kind of short, you will spend no time or very little time renaming your objects identifiers. SilkTest will pick them up for you (see textedit.inc in the SilkTest\examples folder).
    Unfortunately, not all programmers are created equal: one likes to use short names, the other likes to use long names or even abreviations in some cases. And if they don't make much sense to you, SilkTest gives you the chance to rename them as you wish.
    You'll be thanking yourself for the time you spent renaming your identifiers (up front) to names that make more sense to you once you start writing and/or maintaining your test scripts.

I believe that once you've gone thru your training and got the chance to play around with SilkTest a little more, you'll probably ask yourself "Why did I even bother asking those questions about names and identifiers?".

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gilbert (edited 08-27-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that you're getting the hang of the include file, start (just start...;-) thinking about working with variables rather than hard coded data in your scripts.

For example, the value you are selecting from your tree folders ("/BRUCE DEJAIFFE/Calendar") or ("Todd Griglio") will cause problems if that value ever needs to change. So calling GW.TreeFolders.Select(sValue) will work every time if sValue is defined somewhere outside your script; say a database or an ini file.

------------------