User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Testing Mail Clients !

if you wanna test whether u can send mail or not you can use a share ware by name BLAT. search on google for BLAT. Its a cool one.

------------------
    Sree
    Sree

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Testing Mail Clients !

Hi,

is it possible to test Microsoft Outloook2000 or Notes mail clients with Silk?, I am trying to do that (to test a mail server), but I can not see most of the objects Outlook has, even with using the IE4OCX extension.
    Does any one have any experience with that?
    Is there a more suitable tool to test mail clients?

Thanks.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.... or you can use POSTIE from http://www.infradig.com/

I used to use the BLAT, but it has some restrictions. That's why I've chosen the POSTIE.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunia,

If the emphasis of testing is on the Mail server then I recommend that you do not use OutLook. It has a lot of custom objects, handling which can be pretty painfull and time comsuming. Instead try out the other utilities mentioned above.
    BLAT has worked for me.

------------------
    never say die
    Life, that dares send, A challenge to his end,
    And when it comes say, Welcome friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear All,

My Problem is, I need to test the mail clients themselves, i.e. to test the functionality of (Outlok 2000, and Notes) accessing a new mail server. and the test has to be done useing these clients. so BLAT, and POSTIE will not work for me.
    Any other ideas?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have tested Outlook using SilkTest. The only way I was able to do it though was to record the windows I was going to use, and while recording Classmap the items I needed to manipulate to a known SilkTest class (Microsoft does not play well with others.) I still could not capture the dropdown menus with the recorder and had to build them by hand.

Like everyone said it is a time consuming project. If this is a one-time test, then using an automated script to do the test may not be worth the time invested. If you are going to reuse the window declarations you are going to create to do other tests or if this test will be used over and over again then it might be worth the time invested.

We use our script to test about every 3 - 6 months and have put the window declarations in a place where all of our scripters have access to them, this way the whole company can benefit from the time/money invested.

MikeF

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunia,

Mike has listed out almost all the things that need to be done to handle the Outlook issue. As Outlook has a lot of custom objects you will have to create declarations by using ClassMap to make SilkTest understand the objects. Alternatively you can handle them on your own by writing custom methods overiding the defult ones, as those for Select, Click etc. Here in you can derive a separate class for the custom objects and overide the required methods which is better than overriding the methods for all the objects.

As for the feasibility is concerned certainly adopting any of the suggested methods is far to time consuming. Add to that the success of the approach, so take into account the duration of the project and whether you are going to use these automation suite in future.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

------------------
    never say die
    Life, that dares send, A challenge to his end,
    And when it comes say, Welcome friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have specific questions about automating the Notes Client, including testing mail, you can email me at agroves@iris.com. I'm a Notes developer and am PL of the team that does the underlying work to enable SilkTest automation.

In the meantime, I would just make the general observation that without Notes source code access, you won't have much trouble with such GUI elements as action buttons or to/cc/bcc/subject fields, but you will have to do some workarounds for document views and the views/folders list in the inbox, because those are custom windows.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To test these COM applications liek Outlook VB is the best bet. We used to use it by creating thos eobjects and it required less maintenance but ofcourse more initial work.

All,
    If you are thinking of testing COM based products like OUtlook and Excell try using Vb or PB as opposed to our conventional tools like Silk and Win Runner.

------------------
    Sree
    Sree

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To map objects with Silk, I will need to know what to map them too, and still I had tree view problems, so I could not identify an e-mail being sent by viewing the sent items, the it sees every thing as a single custom object, what can I do to that?
    and since building such a map is very much time consuming, what would an alternative tool be?
    Would using WinRunner help?, I have seen a demo for them, and I could see that mapping was easy and it seemed stright forward (while I could not fighure that out with Silk, and did not get a good support with them).
    Does any one know if any other tool would be helpfull in this respect?, what about RobotJ?
    I guess all my questions comes from me being new to all the tools.

Appreciate all your inputs.
    D.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast