SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frameset Recording w Silk

Our website has recently changed in content and construct. It now consists of a three-frame frameset within which is a frame-enclosed Java applet and a frame-enclosed communication window comprised of Active X controls. I have seperate cases for the Java and the Active X (of which the Active X is primarily solved) but the issue I am presenting now is the more important of the three. Since the first of the new builds, every test recorded with Silk Test has failed 50% of the time, at least. After careful examination of the frame file created for this site and the 4Test code within the testscripts, I discovered that Silk Test was recording my actions on "PageX" using the declarations for "PageY" - the enclosed, commented scripts illustrate this. As you know, each page declaration can have entirely different property sets associated with it. If I am commiting actions attributable to an HtmlTable on "PageX", and the only object on "PageY" is a Bitmap, then by no means are the tests going to either be recorded properly or continually run correctly. I have talked to several people about this issue and have had many people ( many from BetaSoft forum) declare similar frustration. This is occuring with ST 5.0.1 and 5.0.2. It is occuring on Win 98 and Win NT. Needless to say, it is not an isolated incident. I am sending this out in the hope that someone can answer me absolutely the question: Is this going to continue happening? My current solution is to simply open the frame file and REWRITE by hand EACH test. But if you see the sample test, you will note that it is only a two page test!! Some of the tests I have recorded in the past are 7 pages long. I have had an individual with tech support go to our site and try to record a test utilizing our frame file and the same result. I have cross and cross-checked again the settings with many Silk users and all of them seem fine. Please, if you have suggestions I encourage you to contact me. As of yet, Segue tech support has been unable to answer this question and our site has no plans to change!!! I enjoy Silk Test, but my fingers are getting tired! Thanks for your ears (yet again) and I look forward to your support.
    Sample, commented files in a zip have been attached for your examination.
    Frameset.zip

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Frameset Recording w Silk

You could try this without doing window decls. The issue with frames is that frames are recognized with the parent's URL or Title. Each frame is then tagged as a child of the parent, e.g. Page.BrowserChild1.Object. And frames are tagged by index (e.g. #1) or by the first text item in it. Now in your case, what is happening is that the recorder is picking up the click on the first object whose tag matches what's in the frame file. You have 2 options:

1. Don't use window decls
    2. Use the contains syntax to identify the frames correctly (but then you can't use the recorder).

Basically, the frames thing is a bit of a mess. Personally, I would go with #2 and make the scripts much more robust to change.

But that will not help you with the issue with typing...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you refering to dynamic instantiation?
    As it is, simply using the framefile to write the correct paths seems to be enough, if not time consuming. I have been looking at short cuts though and just came across that one. Unfortunately, not having window decs is not an option - our tests are lengthy, verbose and fill some pretty heavy testplans. The specificity of the decs is actually a good guide. I have also been looking at the "parent xxx" -- I will try a variety of things and when I find a good solution that requires little writing, i will post it!! Thanks for the info.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, a big thank you to T. W. If any of you are having a similar problem, the (temporary - I still haven't reviewed how many 5.0 bugs 5.01 & 5.02) fix is to instal version 5.0 of Silk Test and IE 4.0/.01. The unique identifying URLs are automatically recorded through 5.0 into the frame where 5.01 and 5.02 record generic BrowserChild and index tags. I will put more samples up once I am sure the fix is the best one and also that the error truly is on 5.01 and 5.02.

------------------