User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keeping Modal window in front

Hi,

in our application there are a number of modal windows. these windows are dialogboxes which have to be dealt with first, before the user can interact the main app.

silktest recorder can see them and recognizes them all right.
    when i record a testcase and open, edit and close the modal window, everything works as expected.

but in one case, silktest opens the modal window and then doesnīt see it! the main window is suddenly in front, not enabled. the modal window is enabled and behind the main window, but silktest canīt get to it.

i tried ".Exists()" , "SetActive)", ".IsEnabled ()" and "GetActive ()" ; no luck.

the modal window ("PersonKinderDetail") is a child of the main window, but is opened from another ChildWin ("PersonKinder") of the main window. with "GetActive()" all i get is the "PersonKinder"-window !?

why does it work in one simple testcase, but not in another testcase? why is it behind (!) the main window all of a sudden? how can silktest get to it?

can anyone help? has anyone any ideas?

Duck

------------------
    Smile, tomorrow will be worse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Keeping Modal window in front

In the declaration for this modal window PersonKinderDetail, that is giving problems, check to see what Parent is used. See if it is the Main Window or the child of the main window that is PersonKinder.

Just a shot, try the following in the parent tag for the PersonKinderDetail window, tag "~ActiveApp/PersonKinderDetail" or the caption of it (PersonKinderDetail).

Well such issues are usually related to the parent child relations, Since the childwindow (PersonKinderDetail) was invoked through another child window (PersonKinder) and depending on whether or not the immediate parent of this childwindow is present while dismissing or handling the same Silk sometimes finds it difficult to relate to the object.

Try out different combinations in the parent tag. Check out the help on ActiveApp.

Let us know.

------------------
    never say die
    Life, that dares send, A challenge to his end,
    And when it comes say, Welcome friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for your ideas, but it is still the same.

the parent for dialogbox "PeronKinderDetail" and also for ChildWin "PersonKinder" is the main window "GA" (short for "Gesetzliche Altersversorgung").

by the way, i noticed something odd:
    when this troublesome testcase is running, the main application is visible as taskbutton in the taskbar , but the dialogbox is also (!) as taskbutton there!
    as if the dialogbox is suddenly a separate application !?

when i run the programm manually through the same steps as in silktest, only the main app-icon is visible in the taskbar! and then the dialogbox is in front of the main window and everything works fine.

any ideas / help would be great.

Duck

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some more trys,

Tag tag "~ActiveApp/[DialogBox]#1"

Try setting the parent of the PeronKinderDetail window as the PeronKinder.

Use GetChildren() method to get the children of the Mainwin when the above mentioned situation arises. do not forget to set the variable bInvisible to true to see invisible dialogs. This should tell you whether or not the PeronKinderDetail dialog is a child of the GA in the first place.

------------------
    never say die
    Life, that dares send, A challenge to his end,
    And when it comes say, Welcome friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duck,

Two things I would pursue...

1. from a QA perspective, I'd be concerned about the underlying code that is causeing this child window to behave differently (the taskbar issue you mentioned) and I'd pursue that with the developers.

2. as a workaround, see if you can determine whether or not that modal dialog is exposed, and then try to Alt-Tab to it. You should be able to do so.

Keep us posted on how it is going.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you both very much for your help!

i tried:
    - Tag tag "~ActiveApp/[DialogBox]#1"
    - setting the parent of the "PersonKinderDetail" window as "PersonKinder"
    - GetChildren() method

result:
    - the different tag and/or parent made no difference
    - silktest has recognized "GA" as parent when i recorded the dialogbox. now it is happily ignoring the "PersonKinderDetail"-dialogbox! it is not listed as child of "GA" (or "PersonKinder" when changing the parent).

oh, one thing:
    the two taskbuttons only appear, when iīm in debugmode! when running the whole thing from beginning to end, there is only the main app-taskbutton and silktest can interact with the dialogbox, which is now in the right place (in front of "GA")!!?? now iīm really confused!

but nevertheless, i will follow the advice from DJGray, asking the developers about their definitions of dialogboxes. you never know, what else they did to those poor dialogs! besides, i would like to have a real parent for the dialogbox.

Duck

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen behavior very similar to this with Java applications.

Try this manual scenario:

Open any other application - Notepad for example. Then open your modal dialog. Now move back to the Notepad application. Most likely, your apps' modal dialog will disappear behind its mainwin. If so, submit this scenario as a problem report to your engineering group. You've just proven that a customer can see it and that Silk had nothing to do with the problem.

From Silk's perspective, you can force any application to the top of the Desktop regardless of its current state by using the Task Manager. Just right-click the application name in the Application tab, and select "Bring to Front". This should re-expose the lost modal dialog.

John

------------------