SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

menu items not enabled

I have a script that is supposed to pick a menu item. However, when I run the script the menu item is not enabled. I can run the script through debug or access the application manually and the menu item is enabled. I have tried to set the MainWin active and use keyboard strokes to access this menu item and both times it is still not active. Has anyone seen anyting like this before?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: menu items not enabled

Silk is not a miracle application. If you can pick the menu manually you can do so with Silk. As our friend said, if functionality of yr application have some prerequisite step to enable menu first do that and then try to invoke your menu.

You can create that enabling part in a application status and make your testcase based on that appstate

------------------
    Sree
    Sree

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the enabled-state of that menu item tied to some external event? You may need retry logic for those menu items.

If so, the permanent solution is to recognize the cause of the delay and wait for it to complete. A quick-n-dirty approach would be to insert a time delay. Try the latter first, to see if it has any effect. (The fact that it runs in debug implies the existence of a timing issue.)

Also, it would be helpful to know what kind of app' you're testing.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand that Silk is not a miracle application. The reason I posted this message is because the behavior I am seeing is very strange. There is a pre-requisite for this application to enable the menu item and that would be to open the module, which I successfully do. There is no data to be entered or selected or field to click on.

By the way ...... this is a client - server Powerbuilder application.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try having SilkTest click on the title bar and see if that refreshes the menu structure. Try having SilkTest wait 'til the menu is enabled (or max timeout value is reached) before trying to do the Pick. Try clicking on the top-level Menu object (the parent or grandparent of your pickable Menu Item) to see if that refreshes the menu structure. Check out your Options settings -- there are a couple there that you can play with. Try the TypeKeys workaround instead of Pick. Drive to the state in debug and see if you can pick the thing manually.

------------------