SPONSORS:






User Tag List

Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Language Independant Scripting for Localised software

    Anyone any ideas on how to use Silk to achieve language independence for testing localised gui applications. There is some pointers in the Silk manual but there is quite a lot of donkey work involved here.
    Also are there any functions out there to check if a control (eg pushbutton caption) is truncated and to see if a control overlaps another control ?

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: Language Independant Scripting for Localised software

    The amount of work it takes to make scripts language independent depends on the type of testing you are performing and the type of application. If you are verifying a lot of labels or static text on dialogs then quite a bit of the script will need to be localized. An example might be verfiying that the first menu item under the File menu in Windows Notepad is called "New".

    If you are running more high level tests (that can assume that the underlying UI is stable), then you might be able to get away with only a little script localization.

    Here are some of the things I did to my scripts to make them language independent:

    1. Use WindowID tags whenever possible. Some possible problem areas are menus and dialog captions.
    2. Create a separate include file that contains only the strings that absolutely must need to be localized (there will some). Then create a new version of the file for each language. I had to do this for all the dialogs in my application. The WindowID was always $0 and the Index was always #1, so a caption tag was necessary.
    3. Do not over-verify UI during test cases. SilkTest makes it too easy to "verify everything" for UI elements, which may cause your scripts to be dependent on a language specific UI property that is not in the direct scope of your test case.

    One thing I did not try (but it might work for you), was to get all necessary strings from the localized resource files in the application being tested. Then you would just have to switch the resource files to test a different language.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.9 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Questions / Answers Form provided by vBAnswers (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBNominatevBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Username Changing provided by Username Change (Free) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
BetaSoft Inc.
Digital Point modules: Sphinx-based search
All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:28 PM.

Copyright BetaSoft Inc.