SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another identifier problem

When I record window declarations, SilkTest creates some that are just plain weird. For example, it gives a button the name of a text string that is located somewhere near it rather than one that's meaningfully connected to the object it's naming.

I've tried renaming identifiers, but every time I go into the Record Identifiers window and change a name, I end up creating a whole other window object in my include file and still can't make the identifier names meaningful.

The objects work when running testcases, but the 4Test code can't make any sense when the object names are so bizarre.

I'd appreciate any help anyone on this forum can offer.

------------------
    Marc Sacks
    QA Engineer
    Cyphermint, Inc.
    msacks@cyphermint.com
    Marc Sacks
    QA Engineer
    Cyphermint, Inc.
    msacks@cyphermint.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Another identifier problem

... moving this to the SilkTest forum ...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Depending on what Tags you use during Recording session, you may see weird names, as you call them, in your windows declarations. If "Prior text" is selected, that explains why you are getting the text near your button.
    You may be seeing a button but your programmer may have not use a PushButton here. It could be a graphical representation of a button (very creative or dumb programmers like to re-invent a lot of stuffs) and therefore the test tool sees it as a Custom object or custom window and it's caption is almost automatically not seen/used. You can however, change these names to more meaningful ones.
    Depending also on what your application was written in: Delphi, PowerBuilder, C/C++, VB, etc. objects not identified clearly by the test tool will have generic names like TextField1, StaticText2, ListView1, etc.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is important to realize that when you use the record Declarations feature, you are creating a new declaration from scratch. That is why you are seeing this. It would be nice if there was a declaration editor that could do what you want, but there isn't one right now.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One problem which affects silktest's recording of window declarations is that controls and their labels are not 'meaningfully connected' in the aut, in any way that silktest can discern - all silktest has got to go on is that the caption for a control is usually the nearest piece of text to that control. Sometimes it gets it wrong, which you just have to live with I find.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not understand the following:

I've tried renaming identifiers, but every time I go into the Record Identifiers window and change a name, I end up creating a whole other window object in my include file and still can't make the identifier names meaningful.

When I finish recording window declarations I rename all of my used fields so they are meaningful in the script and have no problems. How are you renaming the objects?

MikeF

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>originally posted by Gilbert:
    Depending on what Tags you use during Recording session, you may see weird names, as you call them, in your windows declarations. If "Prior text" is selected, that explains why you are getting the text near your button.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the poster is having problems with the identifiers (assumption) of the declaration that he is creating. For the Identifiers there are only two options 1.Caption 2.Window ID. I dont think that there is an option for using the Prior Text for Identifiers.

Marc,

If you look in the Options for the Record Window Declarations you will see that the qualifier for the Identifier can be Caption, or the Window ID. One thing to understand here is when the Caption for an object is missing SilkTest uses what it call "Qualifier text". This is usually the text located somewhere near to the object (I am not sure about the exact value but it has something to do with the pixels) it also depends on the orientation of the object meaning whether the text is located to the left or right of the object. So in absence of an caption the Identifier will be the nearest Qualifier Text. That can explain why Silk is using the text near to the object rather than the Logical name.

Regarding your second hurdle it is not clear to me how you are trying to rename the identifiers. However the usual way to rename the Identifiers is open the declaration file and edit it manually. Give some logical names that you can relate to and remember to use the same in your test scripts. One other possibility is that of the custom objects. Now as mentioned above several times there are objects that are alien to SilkTest, which it does not understand, such objects are called custom objects. Several times you have to write your own methods to handle such objects. But you can try using "Class Map". Check out the help for Class Map.

Let us know,

------------------
    never say die
    Life, that dares send, A challenge to his end,
    And when it comes say, Welcome friend.