SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Force file/directory refresh

I am creating a text file and then immediately performing a file comparison to a previous version of the same file. I export the contents of a table to a text and then use:

SYS_VerifyText(sBaseFilePath, sCurrFilePath)

to perform a file comparison. This works great for small files but I am running into a problem with 376K file. Sometimes the newly created file is not complete in the difference viewer (only about 2/3 of the contents are displayed). Other times the difference viewer is invoked but both versions of the text file are complete and there really are no differences displayed.

It seems as though the difference viewer is executing before the file export is completed. If I insert a Sleep(10) it works fine, but that is no solution.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

------------------
    Steven P. Blunt
    Software Automation Technical Lead
    NASG Sales Force Productivity
    Steven P. Blunt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Force file/directory refresh

Maybe you could set up some kind of loop which checks the last modified date of the file, and if it has changed from the last time round the loop, waits a second before trying again. That way your loop would exit when the last modified date of the file has stopped changing, i.e. when the file is complete.
    This assumes that your file is being appended to pretty much constantly, rather than in discrete (>1s apart) batches, but apart from that should work fine.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried looping and checking both the last modified datetime value and also the file size value using SYS_GetDirContents, neither one worked. I thought I might have a shot with the file size value because you can see it incrementing sometimes when exporting a large file.

It seems like both of those values are already done updating by the time I start looping to check the values. But for some reason SYS_VerifyText still sees the files as being different and invokes the difference viewer, but once the viewer is opened the text files are identical. An annoying little problem.

Any other ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

------------------
    Steven P. Blunt
    Steven P. Blunt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, if Verify shows the files as being identical, it is not an issue of comparing the files before the export is complete.

At this point I'd probably construct a routine that got a handle to each file, opened them and walked them line by line doing a comparison.

I feel like a broken record with statements like this, but I tend to not trust much of the built in functionality of the tool; stuff like default base state, Verify routines... Don't get me wrong. I love this tool, but I just want as much control of what is happening as I can get.

If you walk those files line by line with a statement like while FileReadLine(), you have that sort of control. You can report your results at the end, or report for each line. It's your call.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree totally with DJGrey. The idea behind the Verify commands is well intentioned but since you don't know what's going on under the covers and you're given very little control over it, you're frequently much better off if you provide your own solution.

And relying on a "they didn't match" indication isn't going to be nearly as useful as knowing exactly what didn't match when it comes time to report the error to a developer.

John

------------------

[This message has been edited by John J. Miller (edited 08-16-2002).]