BMD
    Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Average Size

I have been using Rational tools and we have moved to Segue. I'm getting ready to install it and we are looking for the average size people's repositories are. Can you please let me know the space the program will require and the space you using for your scripts and logs. Also if you have found any tricks during the install you wish to share. We are looking to install on a WEB server so the license. and scripts can be moved to the test lab using VPN because the lab is 100% separate from the production LAN.

Thanks for all your replies,
    Bruce.

PS. is there a was to have each and every post sent to my e-mail and not have to use IE to use the forum?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Average Size

Hi Bruce - As far as 'repository' sizes go there are some differences here.

1 - SilkTest stores all scripts plans and frame files as plain ascii text files. These are small. I have files as large as 3 megs of this type, although my average file is less than 100K

2 - Results files are binary and store up to the last 5 results in them by default, but can be configured to store more. The size of the results files depends on how many tests are being run at one time and the logging options you have selected. A suite of 1000 tests that I would resularly run would generate an 4 meg file with moderate logging on and 1 meg with minimum logging turned on.

3 - Tips--Don't store the files that you create in the SilkTest install directory. Store them in your own directory structure. This suggestion would get a lot of different opinions from people, but I like having sepeatate directories for Data, Frame, Scripts, Plans, and Results.

Other that that I just use the default install options.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

BMD
    Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Segue stored everything in the working directory during a test they did for us. Is this there directory or just one the tester created. I will create one for results.

Have you had problems moving the license around?

Thank you for your reply,
    Bruce.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you trying to move the license from one license server to another? I think when you get the license from Segue you need to provide the host ID and hostname that is obtained by running silkmeter_hostinfo. This would not be the same on different machines.

------------------

BMD
    Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, we have not yet installed. We are looking at the different locations and different ways to configure the license part, in order to make it available in the most number of areas within the company. Where is your license server? How much room are you using?

Thanks,
    Bruce.

------------------